Chapter 2: Present Day

Beginne am Anfang

James purposely took longer then everyone else...he was waiting for Cassedee. She was talking to the teacher about something. He strained to listen but couldn't make out what was being said. 

Nole grabbed his shoulders and shook him. "Now's your chance, man. Go over and talk to her."

James jumped and brushed him off.

"I don't know dude...what if she says no?"

Nole shrugged, "what if she says yes?"

James thought about this, wondering if the risk was worth it. 

 What if she says yes?

The words echoed in his mind, unable to process the possible reality of the statement.

James's heart began to flutter and he could feel the sweat building up under his armpits.

Just go over there and talk to her. Even if you don't ask her out. Just talk to her.

Cassedee began to walk away from the teacher and was making her way out of the classroom before James even had the chance to get up. Everything was screaming at him to run after her, but his thoughts swirled around in his mind. 

Nole nudged at him, motioning with his eyes to go after her. 

He took a deep breath and swallowed. Now's your chance.

"H--hi Cassedee..." he  managed to stutter out.

She gave him a big smile, "Hey James! Ready for this insane paper Mrs. Blenski is assigning us? I'm not!"

The three of them made their way out of the classroom. James couldn't believe who he was talking to.

James gave a nervous laugh, "Yeah...if you call ready as in me waiting until the last minute to write it, then sure." That was stupid.

Nole, help.

Nole chimed in, "Yeah, I'm sure half the class is going to flunk this paper. Mrs. Blenski is a little..." He motioned with his finger to indicate that their teacher was crazy. "To be honest, I don't really understand the assignment. James definitely does not. Maybe you could help him?"

Nole flashed them both a smile, adding a little extra charm when he looked at James with it.

James gritted his teeth, "Only if you want to Cassedee. Don't feel like you have to." He gave a nervous laugh.

Cassedee nodded her head. "No, I don't mind. I think it would be fun to swap ideas around."

James's eyes got hopeful. Did he hear what he thought he heard?

"We're friends, James so it would be fun to hang out with you. Get to know you a little more."

Friends. There it was. The dreaded word that nobody wants to hear. His hearts sank but Nole continued to have that glint in his eyes.

"Alright guys, if I don't get a move on in about two seconds I am going to be late for my math class and if I'm late one more time, Mr. Tribute is going to kill me."

She held out her fist so they both could punch it. James didn't want to punch it, he wanted to hold it. To kiss it. This was torture.

After Cassedee walked away and was out of earshot, James turned to Nole with expectation.

"So...what's the verdict? Whadda think?"

"Oh yeah, she digs you. Big time."

James looked at him with a puzzled expression on his face. "How can you tell?"