1927

Winter

~~~

Awakening beside Louise, Cal's immediate thought was one of regret. Every week, he vowed it would be the last time. But yet, as the weekend neared, they fell into the same routine—dinner at an upscale restaurant followed by a retreat to her hotel room. Occasionally, he'd gift her things that made her happy, never jewelry, but she delighted in furs and the tiny mesh bags that seemed so impractical to him. He told himself that this was not who he was. He was better than Dinah and her multitude of affairs. But was he really? He knew there was no love between him and Louise, they had both been clear about that from the very beginning. But it changed nothing.

There was a gentle touch on his arm but he brushed it off, his attention directed, instead, to a strand of pearls suspended from the back of a nearby chair. They reminded him of Kate and suddenly he felt another wave of guilt. An unexplainable guilt as he didn't owe her anything. They were both married.

But why hadn't he heard from her? For some time, she had written regularly and then the letters had stopped. Sarah had tried to reassure him that Kate was fine, that Henry was a handful. But the doubt still persisted—maybe his letters weren't reaching her at all.

Louise's words resurfaced—her notion that perhaps Kate had fallen in love with her husband. At the time, he had dismissed it as absurd. But should it be so unbelievable? She had willingly chosen, married the man—there had to be love.

Why did it matter to him so much?

The touch returned to his arm.

"Did you speak to Hugh?" Cal asked suddenly.

"Who?" Louise's voice still held a playful note as she traced her nails across his chest.

"Kate's husband," he replied. "When we were at her wedding, did you have a chance to speak to him?"

There was a silence and he could nearly feel her irritation without even seeing her face. "Why are you asking me this?"

"I was just thinking—"

"Well, don't," she cut him off. "You're spoiling the mood."

"I apologize."

Louise leaned closer, her lips a whisper away from his own.

"You don't think Kate might be angry with me, do you?" Cal asked, unable to stop himself.

She sighed and shifted away from him, sitting up to dress.

Cal looked at her in confusion.

"I'm not your therapist," she remarked, her tone curt.

"I didn't think you were—"

"How about instead of bringing Kate up every thirty seconds, maybe you go to Spokane and see her for yourself." She shook her head. "I don't know why you're so concerned in any case because the woman is clearly happily married and what are you even expecting anyway? She won't leave her husband for you and, even if she had, you're still married because you refuse to take the necessary steps for a divorce." She reached for her coat and slipped it on.

Her words caught him off guard. "I don't understand why you think—where are you going?"

"To get a drink."

"It's 8 am."

"It certainly is." Louise smiled sweetly. "Call me as soon as you get this all sorted out. I'm not a fan of complications." With a final kiss, she left the room.

Cal laid back on the bed and stared at the ceiling, considering her words. He wasn't disappointed that she had gone, leaving him alone with his thoughts. Her advice had some merit to it even if her accusation that he was hoping Kate would leave her husband for him was pure foolishness. His concern for Kate was merely that of a friend. Nothing more. He was certain of it.