1928

Winter

~~~

John didn't want to hold onto Eileen's hand. The thought that somebody from his class might see him holding hands with a toddler was horrifying. But every time he managed to pull his hand away, it wasn't long before her tiny fingers found their way back into his grasp. "Mom!" he called out. "Make her stop."

Sarah looked at them and laughed. "Your sister loves you. You might as well get used to it."

He let out an exasperated sigh and immediately Eileen let out a matching sigh of her own. As if it wasn't bad enough that his mother was making him go with her to the grocers—as she always did—they had to bring his sister with them. His sister, who walked so slowly and was so easily distracted that the trip was sure to take forever. And why did she keep staring at him?

Seeing that they were nearing the sporting goods store, John cast a furtive glance at his mother. As she wasn't looking, he let go of Eileen's hand and wandered over to the front window. Sure enough, his sister was soon right beside him, her face pressed against the glass.

"John," his mother said softly. She had stopped walking and was watching them.

"Can we go in?" he asked, hesitantly. "Just for a bit."

Sarah looked in the direction they had been headed then back at him and John felt a glimmer of hope. Usually, her answer was an immediate no. She sighed. "Fine. Just a quick walk around but then we need to be going."

He whooped with joy. "Come on, Eileen." Taking her hand once more, he pulled open the door and walked her inside.

The inside of the store was everything he had hoped it would be. Rows and tables filled with sporting equipment, model kits, air rifles. Bicycles and sleds hung from the ceiling and the smell of leather filled the air. He immediately made a beeline for a table filled with model planes and wooden gliders, and hung over everything a giant three foot model of the Spirit of St. Louis . He stared up at it, mesmerized. "Wow," he breathed. He picked up the box it came from and looked for his mother. "Can I get this?" He asked eagerly.

She looked at the price tag and frowned. "It's very expensive."

"I know, but—ow!" He had been about to argue when Eileen smacked him.

"Pick up!" She demanded. The top of her head just barely reached the table and she was standing on her toes in an attempt to look over the edge.

Immediately, John scooped her up so she could see better.

"Maybe for Christmas," Sarah offered, although her face still looked uncertain.

"But that won't be for a long time."

"Could be never," she replied. "That would be even longer."

He sighed. He knew there was still a possibility if he asked his father but he knew he would need to ask him before his mother had a chance to speak with him. It was a minuscule window, if that.

Eileen held out her hands and Sarah took her in her arms. "Come on," she said."We still need to get to the store before it grows too late." She turned and started toward the exit.

John gave the model one last longing look before following them out.

~~~

"I suppose I should be grateful she gave me my job back at all," Lelia said as she pushed Caroline in a pram. "Especially after her big spiel about how my aspirations must surely have changed now that I've had a child." She let out a huff. "Changed my foot. They haven't changed one bit. But apparently having a child means that I must give up all of my dreams. Not that I don't love her." Lelia smiled down at the baby. "She's wonderful and I love you too, of course." She leaned over and kissed his cheek. "But it's still infuriating. No one's trying to encourage you to quit your job." Lelia had only been back to work for one day and she was already in a terrible mood.