1929

~~~

Winter

~~~

"I just don't think it's true," Dottie said. "You know Jimmy's a liar."

She and John sat beside each other on the table behind his house, bored out of their minds. It was too cold and wet to do much outside—plus they had both decided they were too old to be tramping through the woods anymore—and as his mother had decided to deep clean the house, neither wanted to be indoors either. John had, at first, suggested seeing a movie but neither had any money. So they had no choice but sit on the table and discuss the rumors going around school and be bored.

"Everyone's talking about it," John replied.

Dottie pulled her coat tighter around herself, her breath visible in the cold air. "That don't mean it's true. Let's examine the facts. Jimmy claims he got caught kissing Miss Morrell. No one saw it and the only person who keeps bringing it up is Jimmy, himself." She shook her head. "And if that doesn't all speak for itself, Miss Morrell is seeing someone, or so I've heard, and Jimmy's ugly. Who'd want to kiss him in the first place?" She made a face.

"But he was out of school for a week," John pointed out.

"That don't mean a thing. He was probably just sick and wanted a good story. I bet he's never kissed anyone other than his mother."

John shrugged. He was sure that Dottie was right because she was always right. He sighed as he watched two fat squirrels chase each other up a nearby tree. At least they weren't bored.

"Have you ever kissed anyone?" She suddenly asked.

"Of course." He shot her sideways glance.

Dottie raised an eyebrow. "Oh, yeah? Who?"

"You don't know her."

"What's her name then?"

John hesitated for a moment, his mind racing for a name, any name, but it drew a blank. "Uh... Dottie," he blurted out, the only name that remained at the forefront of his thoughts.

"Her name is Dottie?" There was an overwhelming dose of skepticism in her voice.

"Yes, she has the same name as you."

Dottie stared at him. "I know you're lying."

"Am not."

"You're like the worst liar I've ever known."

"Fine, Miss Nosy." He let out a sigh. "I'm probably the only one in my class who hasn't kissed anyone yet."

"You and Jimmy," she pointed out. "Maybe you could kiss each other."

John could feel his face flushing red. "Maybe you could go for a long swim."

She let out a huff. "Well, I was going to offer to let you kiss me if you want but since you'd rather be so rude—"

"How am I the one being rude...oh, okay."

"Close your eyes."

John obediently shut his eyes tightly and held his breath, counting the seconds in heartbeats. One heartbeat. Two heartbeats. Three. Then, he felt a quick peck on his lips.

"That's it?" He asked, opening his eyes.

"Should I feel insulted?"

"No, I just expected it to be...I don't know." He struggled to find the right words. "It was kind of boring."

"Well, I'm not exactly in love with you, so that's all you're going to get."

"I bet you've never kissed anyone before either," John guessed, taking a shot in the dark.