1923

Winter

~~~

Sarah hated the thought of being unsupportive to Kate. Hugh had already caused enough strain in their friendship that she couldn't bear to see it grow any worse. And she certainly didn't want anything more to come between Pat and his sister. Not if she could prevent it in any way. So, in a genuine effort to get to know the man better, and without telling Pat her plan—she knew his thoughts all too clearly–she invited Hugh over for tea.

"I've been looking forward to meeting you," he said from where he sat across the table. A cup of tea sat in front of him. "Kate talks about you all the time."

Sarah smiled at the thought. "I've known her for a very long time. Ten years, in fact." She took a sip of her own tea. It was too weak but at least it was warm which made her happy. It was the sort of gray day outside that allowed the chill to permeate the home regardless of the heater doing its best and the fire built up in the fireplace. "Where are you from?"

"Chicago," he replied, leaning back comfortably in his chair. "And I moved here around five or six years ago."

"Any siblings?"

"Just a brother."

"What about your parents?" Sarah asked. "Are they still alive?"

"Nope," he replied. "I lost them both as a child."

"I'm sorry to hear that." She studied him over her cup of tea, the steam curling up. He hadn't seemed sad when he mentioned his deceased parents but she supposed that if he had been a small child, he might not have had the time to know them. Stop it, Sarah , she chided herself. Pat's words must've gotten into her head and now she couldn't help but look for things wrong with the man. She took another sip of her weak tea while she considered her next question. "Have you ever been married before?" She asked at last.

"What's with all of the questions?" Hugh raised an eyebrow. "I feel a bit like I'm being interrogated by the police."

Sarah shrugged. "I'm just trying to get to know you better," she replied. "For Kate's sake."

"Fair enough." He glanced at the tea in his cup and pushed it aside. "But I get to question you next."

The thought of him prying into her life made her uneasy and she shifted uncomfortably in her seat. "Have you ever been in jail?"

"Once when I was sixteen," he replied. "But I was only in for three days."

"That seems like a lot. What did you do?"

"I got into a fight and I couldn't afford the fine," he said. He leaned forward. "If it makes you feel better, the other boy started it."

Schoolyard fights were hardly uncommon, not even ones bad enough to end with an arrest. Sarah ran a finger along the edge of the table, worn smooth from multiple people doing the same over many years. "Why Kate?" It was the one question she had wondered about the most.

"What do you mean?"

"Of all the women in this town, why did you choose Kate?"

Hugh sighed. "Well, if I'm being entirely honest, I first approached her only because I knew it'd bother her brother, which is actually a very easy thing to do because he's a bit high strung. But I'm sure I don't need to tell you that."

Sarah tightened her grip on her cup but remained silent.

"But then I got to know her," he continued. "And, believe it or not, I fell completely in love with her."

She stared at him, trying to read his face. His voice seemed sincere, but there was something in his expression that he didn't trust—something about the way he spoke of her husband. "I have one more question," she said, her voice chillingly cool. "When my husband was injured at the mill, were you responsible for it?"