1924

Winter

~~~

Kate hadn't anticipated a honeymoon of any sort. Those were reserved for the wealthy, those who could afford to take lavish trips to exotic places and expensive hotels. But Hugh had insisted and before she knew what was happening, Tommy had been safely deposited with Sarah and Pat, and she was on her way to the Davenport Hotel.

While Hugh attended to the check-in process, Kate wandered through the lobby, her hand grazing across the upholstered furniture and her gaze fixated on the incredible glass ceiling. Everywhere she turned, she was faced with towering arrangements of fresh flowers, saturating the air with their heady perfume. As she ran her fingers through the fringe adorning a lampshade, she marveled at the other people lounging about on the round seats, the men wearing expensive suits and the women buried in soft fur coats. She found herself thinking of Cal and wondered if she had momentarily stepped into his world.

Dinner that night was at the ornate Apple Bower restaurant. Kate looked at the marble columns and meticulously engraved cornices and found it difficult to believe that such a place even existed. As she delved into her roast baron of beef and warm potato salad, her mind was already devising plans to recreate the dish at home. With the right ingredients, she thought she could manage something close.

It was over desserts—an orange chiffon pie for her and chocolate pecan pudding for Hugh, that he leaned closer, his voice a low murmur. "Look to your left," he whispered. "Be subtle, I'm fairly certain that's Mary Pickford."

Kate turned her head to look. "That's not her," she said, studying the young woman seated nearby.

"It's definitely her," he insisted.

"It can't be." The woman had the same long curls as Mary Pickford but Kate's mind refused to believe that a famous actress could possibly be in the same room as someone like her.

"I'll go ask her." Hugh started to get up from the table.

"No," Kate laughed, gently pulling him back down. "Don't do that."

"I could've gotten you an autograph."

"If that was even her."

"It is her."

"Well, even if it is," Kate reasoned. "She's eatin' and it'd be rude to interrupt."

"Fine," he replied. "Perhaps we'll run into her later then."

After dinner, Hugh suggested they head downstairs for drinks and she readily agreed. Just as they approached the bar, a familiar voice called across the room. "Kate!"

Startled, she turned to see Vera making her way through the crowd towards her. "Vera, yer here."

"I'm always here," Vera replied. "It's practically my second home. I am surprised to see you though. I thought you never left that house."

Kate felt a twinge of irritation. "I was just married and this—"

"That's nice," Vera interrupted. "You want to meet Wally?" Without waiting for a response, she grabbed Kate's arm.

Caught off guard, Kate shot Hugh an apologetic look as she was being whisked away. "Who's Wally?"

"That's Walter," Vera replied. "His parents are friends with my parents or something like that. I'm sure I've told you all about him."

"I know you weren't too keen on him." It had been difficult to keep track of all of Vera's romantic escapades.

"Oh, I'm keen now. Look." Vera reached behind her ear, showcasing a jade drop earring. "He bought me these? Aren't they ritzy?"