Vol.3: Befriending your insanity

Start from the beginning

"Oh there's no need to worry my dear Zhongli, I merely wanted your thoughts on the cruise, and that's been mildly overshadowed don't you agree?~" My breathing hitched as I realised that it wasn't me talking, the boys eyes narrowing in suspicion at her... my? words. Though he nodded, turning and speaking casually, offhandedly mentioning that he'd have to clean up, this event would likely be kept a secret after all, so getting caught with blood on his hands would be a serious problem.

Finally we split ways at the dorms and I stumbled into my room, my cane dropping against the wall as I collapsed into my bed, desperately removing my contact to reveal the strange eye. A sigh of annoyance breaking from my throat as I listened to the girl.

"How rude, why are you treating me like some sort of mental disease huh? Me! I, the goddess Focalors choose to inhabit your mind and you try and get me out? I should smite you for your impudent behaviour!" Finally I snapped, the voice driving me to my limit.

"Honestly why are such a worthless help then? You showed up, panicked, and then suddenly acted like it was some pathetic performance?" My tone laced with contempt as I berated the 'goddess', "You could at least offer to help or give me some ideas but no. What do you do? You bother and insult me and all I have to do it take it because I don't want to look crazy."

As I finished, my token smug grin began to spread as I left her lost for words.

Maybe this could be a little fun...

"I- uh, well, y'know, didn't want to make it too easy for you... hehe." Her words growing my smile yet again.

"You don't know how you got here do you? Ha, how pathetic. You claim to be a goddess but you're still useless in the face of anything that requires basic intelligence."

"Fine! Maybe I'm not sure, but someone will come to save me! I know he will..."

Her tone caused a small stab of guilt from within me, though it was cut off as she spoke.

"You're smart, right?" Her whimsical tone failing to hide trace amounts of desperation and my smile grew gentle before I nodded, a feeling that was probably slightly disorienting for her.

As much as I disliked this parasite it didn't change that if she really didn't know how she got here then realistically she was just a victim.

Not that it makes her any less frustrating...

"Well... maybe you could help me. I doubt you'll be able to do much more than me or Neuvillete, but I'm sure it can't hurt." Her smug tone didn't fully hide her nerves and I simply sighed at her antics.

"Neuvillete?" I questioned, it would be careless to make a decision without all the facts. Though the girl seemed to grow excited, like a child showing off someone else's accomplishments like they were their own.

"Neuvillete is the chief justice of Fontaine, the nation of hydro and most advanced in Teyvat! That's where I'm from by the way~"

"Yes you've mentioned, carry on." I sighed.

"Yes yes, so anyway, Neuvillete is effectively the judge of our nation, and has absolute power over the law, well, I suppose he shares it with the Oratrice Mecanique d'Analyse Cardinale, a machine of my own making that is designed to hear every part of a trial and give a perfect, unbiased verdict, since then false imprisonment and punishment have become a thing of the past~" Her proud tone spoke of how highly she valued her nation and invention, though one thing threw me off.

"Hang on, if your nation is advanced enough to create a contraption like that, how come you were so thrown off by our inventions, such as phones or computers, surely it would at least need an A.I?" Though of course I overlooked one main thing with the flaws I presented, Teyvat, or at least Fontaine was a place where the gods mingled with humans, not everything had to be the same as it was here.