TEN ◦ Silver Bullets

⋄∘∙♱⋄∘∙

⋄∘∙♱⋄∘∙

AS I ENTERED THE TOWN HALL, I EXPECTED TO FIND A GATHERING OF THE OTHER COUNCIL MEMBERS. However, to my surprise, the meeting room was empty except for one person—the mayor of Mystic Falls, Mayor Glaskow, who sat behind a large wooden desk. "Mayor Glaskow," I greeted her with a polite nod. "I thought this was supposed to be a council meeting. Is there a change in the schedule?"

The mayor offered a somber smile as she gestured for me to take a seat across from her. "Lana, I have something rather important to discuss with you."

I took a seat, feeling a growing sense of curiosity and apprehension. "What is it, Mayor?"

Mayor Glaskow took a deep breath before speaking, her voice heavy with emotion. "The Rhoads bloodline were proud werewolf hunters, some of the best this town has ever seen."

I nodded, not entirely surprised by this revelation. Damon sorta let that cat out of the bag, plus my father's mysterious past had always been shrouded in secrecy. Mayor Glaskow continued, her eyes locked onto mine with a sense of urgency. "Lana, your family left behind a legacy, one that is vital to the safety of Mystic Falls. They kept the supernatural forces in check, and now that he's gone, it's up to someone to continue their work."

I furrowed my brow, a sense of responsibility weighing on me. "What do you mean, continue their work?"

The mayor leaned forward, her gaze intense. "I want you to take up the mantle, Lana. You have the bloodline, the knowledge, and the determination. This town needs someone to protect it from the supernatural threats that lurk in the shadows."

The weight of her words hung in the air, and I realized that the mayor was asking me to step into a role I had never anticipated. To become a guardian of Mystic Falls, to protect it from the supernatural forces that threatened its peace and safety—it was a daunting task, but one that I couldn't ignore since I, myself, was a creature of the night. "I'll do whatever it takes to protect this town," I replied with determination. Whether I wanted to admit it or not, A burning hatred for the werewolf species has always been inside of me, and that memory of Gabe McGraw only confirmed that.

Mayor Glaskow nodded, a sense of relief washing over her. "Thank you, Lana."

Before I left the room, a question nagged at the back of my mind, and I turned back to Mayor Glaskow. "Mayor, there's something I've been curious about. You know Beverly Rhoads?" The Mayor nodded her head in agreement. "Why isn't she part of this... legacy?"

Mayor Glaskow sighed, her expression one of sympathy. "Beverly wasn't a true blood descendant of your family. She married into the Rhoads line. She didn't inherit the legacy and knowledge that comes with it. It's a bloodline, passed down through generations."

I nodded, absorbing this information. It made sense that not everyone in the family would have been involved in the dangerous world of hunting, yet I couldn't help but wonder about the true extent of my family's history and the secrets that had been kept hidden for so long.