TWENTY-SIX ◦ Sad Girl

⋄∘∙♱⋄∘∙

IN THE QUIET OF THE NIGHT, Lana found herself unable to sleep, the tension between her and Damon weighing heavily on her mind. She tossed and turned in her bed, her thoughts racing as she grappled with the complex emotions that had taken hold of her. Unable to find peace, Lana finally gave up on the idea of sleep and made her way to the kitchen. She put a kettle on the stove and watched the flames dance beneath it, the warm glow casting flickering shadows on the walls. As the kettle came to a boil, Lana selected her favorite tea, the one she turned to when she needed comfort. The aroma of the brewing tea began to fill the room, a small comfort in the midst of her turmoil.

Sipping on her tea, she examined the opal daylight ring on her finger, a symbol of the sacrifices Damon had made for her. He had gone through hell and back to save her from Stefan's ripper tendencies, and she couldn't deny the depth of his feelings for her. Yet, Lana struggled with her own guilt, unable to shake the doubt and uncertainty that had crept into their relationship. She had her own desires, her own needs, and she couldn't let herself feel guilty for wanting honesty and clarity in her connection with Damon. As she sipped her tea, she hoped that somehow, in the midst of her stubbornness and determination, they could find a way to bridge the gap that had grown between them.

Lana huffed in frustration, then decided to return to her parents' old closet where her diaries remained, covered in a layer of dust. She carefully picked up the last journal she had ever written in, its pages yellowed with time, and returned to the living room where her tea awaited her.

She opened the journal to a page dated February 1881, and as she began to read, a flood of memories washed over her. She was transported back to a time when she and Damon were together, exploring the world and each other. The pages of the diary were filled with their adventures, their laughter, and the moments of genuine connection that had brought them so much happiness.

As Lana read, her eyes welled up with tears, and soon, she was crying. The memories of a mentally stable Damon Salvatore, a man unafraid to love, were bittersweet. They were a stark contrast to the complicated, tumultuous present she found herself in. It was a painful reminder of what they once had and what had been lost. Her tears fell onto the pages, blurring the ink, as she clung to those cherished memories and the hope that they could find their way back to a place of happiness and stability once more.

As Lana silently cried, lost in her memories, a gentle hand found her chin and gently tilted her gaze upward. Damon stood before her with a frown, concern etched on his face as he inspected her tear-stained cheeks. "You're too pretty to cry," he said softly, his voice filled with genuine care as he used his thumb to wipe away her tears. Lana found comfort in his touch, the familiarity of his presence soothing, even in the midst of their complicated emotions.

Damon took a step back and sat down across from her. Lana sniffed, wiping away the remaining tears, but she didn't turn away. She was still upset, but there was a glimmer of hope in her eyes, as if she were willing to hear him out. Damon cleared his throat, his gaze never leaving hers. "I came to talk," he said, his tone sincere. "I know we've had our differences, Lana, and I hate that you're upset. I want to make things right."

Lana nodded, a mixture of emotions swirling within her. She silently encouraged him to continue, ready to listen to whatever he had to say. Damon's hand reached for Lana's, his own trembling slightly. Lana's heart raced as she couldn't help but feel a twinge of fear, hoping that he wasn't planning to abandon her in this moment of vulnerability. His empathetic smile offered some reassurance, but her apprehension still lingered.

He squeezed her hand gently before speaking, his voice laced with sincerity. "I've had some time to think about everything, Lana, and I've realized it's time I'm honest with you about everything."