30. Gnawing Remorse

Start from the beginning

Shit!

I hear the front door open, as I look behind me, I see the guard enter my house, holding a picklock. He seems familiar.

"Didn't realize the King and Queen were fond of illegal activities," I shot, looking at his fingers. "Is that why there is a corpse of a man buried in the forest, near your sister's grave?" He jokes, staring into my eyes.

I let the blade in my hand fly, he misses it by an inch, letting it connect with the wall behind him. "We have some matters to discuss, mind sitting down?" He asks.

Nala shuffles behind me, sitting against the door.

"Sure, where would you like to be buried?" I question, tilting my head just slightly.

He rolls his eyes, "The obsession you have with killing is ridiculous. Find something better to do."

I begin walking closer to him, letting my fist fly, and connect with his jaw, he stumbles, but composes himself quickly, throwing a blow at me. He misses, while I connect with his abdomen, he grunts in pain, kicking his leg out and under mine.

My stance falters just a bit, giving him the chance to strike me to my jaw. I grab his arm, pulling him close as my elbow connects with his nose, sending his head back. Blood trickles down his lips, as he uses my couch for support.

I don't stop, my fists ricocheting off of his skin, one after another. Cuts dig into his once clear skin, until he sends me back with a knock to my chin.

My back connects with the wall holding my dagger, letting me reach out and grab hold of it. I swing it at him, but he blocks it, holding my wrists in place as I continue pushing the blade down, inching closer to his throat.

His arms slowly lowering, letting the blade barely scrape his skin.

"I'm not here to kill you," he urges, clenching his teeth as his strength dimmers.

"It doesn't matter why the fuck you're here, I just want you dead," I hiss.

"They have an offer!" He stammers, continuing to fight the pressure of my hold. "Who?" He holds his breath, "The king and queen."

I stare at him, deciding to play along with his game, letting up on him as I back away.

He breathes, pushing himself off the back of my couch.

I watch as he straightens out his uniform, composing himself, "They want to meet with you, to discuss the proposition."

I scoff, "They can fuck off, you all can."

"I never said you had a choice, you're meeting them now," he declares, glaring straight at me. "Do you really want to end up with a blade in your throat, bleeding out all over the place? Because I can easily kill you, and not give two shits about you and your little posse of royals."

The soldier laughs at my words, leaning back against my furniture, "That girl you were with, Rhea was her name, right?"

I stop smiling immediately, analyzing the soldier.

"Maybe you don't remember me, but I remember you. I walked in on you and her tying up the prince," he smiles, "It'd be a shame, if she ended up buried right along with your sister and the man in the forest, wouldn't it?"

"I hardly know her, we met that day, do whatever you want to her," I state, staring straight at him.

He clicks his tongue, "See that's the thing, I know you care about her. She definitely cares about you, seeing as she carried you through the field of open fire, and through the streets until you got here."