12. Drained Adolescence

Rhea

"Mother?" I whisper.

"Yes?" I hear behind me.

It's her.

I turn around and hug her. Gently, I hold her in between my arms, as if she'll disappear the moment I let go.

"You were dead. How are you here? I thought you and father were dead!" I mumble into her nightgown.

"Darling, we're right here, we didn't go anywhere," she claims.

I feel tears soak my cheeks, as I sob uncontrollably. "Christopher! Come here!" I hear her slightly shout.

Footsteps sound from behind my shaking back. "What? What? Is everything alright?" I hear my father ask, filled with worry.

"It's Rhea, she's had another nightmare," my mother explains.

I close my eyes, squeezing tighter around my mothers torso. "Daddy?" I hear a young voice chime.

My eyes fly open, landing on a little girl with silly black hair, and tired hazel eyes. She sits upright, while a duvet too big for her little body, covers her legs. The room is dimly lit by a lampshade next to the awfully big bed for such a little girl.

"Yes sweetheart?" I hear my father reply behind me.

I turn around and see him.

He has less gray hair than I remember. His chiseled jaw covered in a slight beard, his brown hair tousled in a funny style, and his favorite robe draping off of him.

"What's the matter?" He asks.

"You're dead," I state.

"I had another nightmare. You and mommy were there too," a feathery and soft voice mumbles.

I turn around, and see the little girl. While my mother comforts her, rubbing her back soothingly.

I gaze at my mother.

Her cream colored nightgown clings to her, held by two straps around her shoulders. Black waves of silk hair flow down to her mid back. She's positioned next to the little girl, holding her. Her glimmering brown eyes gaze upon the child with love and worry.

"Mother? Father? I'm right here," I insist.

They ignore me.

My father walks past me, and gently sits next to the girl, pushing some of her hair back and kisses the top of her head. "It was just a nightmare, nothing more. You have got to get sleep. Remember, you have lessons tomorrow," he reassures her.

The girl nods.

They hug the child, while I stand awkwardly in the middle of the room.

I stare as the child gazes back at me.

"Why are you leaving me behind?" She questions, as a tear escapes her eye.

"I'm not," I state.

"Yes, you are. Everyone agrees," she whispers.

"Who?" I ask.

Instead of replying, she points to the corner of the room. I look over and see three figures sitting in the dark, on my windowsill.

I squint my eyes to get a better look.

"Chris, I think she's gone," I hear my mother whisper from the darkness.

"We've failed her Grace," my father sighs, from nowhere.

"I couldn't protect her, I'm sorry," Allen admits.