CHAPTER FIFTY-SIX

To be riding on the neck of my father's dragon was a surreal experience. Armaeda's essence invigorated me with a surge of energy that I hadn't felt in...ever. 

It had been a bit suspicious of Shade to blindfold me on the way to where she was being held captive, but I hadn't dared question him. He'd brought me to the very beast that could rejuvenate my entire empire with just her presence within the walls. 

The cold, night air smacked my cheeks, but I felt a grin lift my lips as we soared above the kingdom. Armaeda was larger than her counterpart, Hyrule, by a landslide. Her silver scales glistened in the moonlight and the dark ocean reflected off the light blue scales on her breast plate as we soared over the Forbidden Seas. My father's Insignia representing his power to wield all four elements marked her forehead, broadcasting the emperor as her summoner. 

I patted the three dragon scales in the pocket of my cloak that Bastion had packed for me and reminisced my time with Rays and Tanwen. I'd leave their scales at the academy with Trainer Reishell when I was back at the Wrexial Mountains, but I had one stop to make before I returned home. 

I drew back on Armaeda's horns and directed her to engage in a descent for the island we were approaching. The volcanic landscape littered with deadly, goo-spewing geysers rose up to meet us as we landed. 

"I can't recall you to your demon realm since my father is your summoner," I said, gesturing at the pocket where I'd put Armaeda's scale as I looked around. "You should be safe here for now. There aren't too many geysers or volcanoes in this area, and you can stick to the edge of the forest if that's less risky." 

Armaeda huffed smoke through her nostrils and sat back on her haunches, wrapping her pointed tail around herself as the sun started to rise on the horizon. 

"I'll be right back," I promised, skirting around the many obstacles that could kill me until I reached the shabby hut made of stone and straw at the base of the largest volcano. 

It felt disrespectful to enter the Wielder's home without his consent, and it felt even more so to snoop around inside, but he was not alive to grant me his permission, or to deny my presence.

I shouldered the door open and let it creak shut behind me as I waded in the confined space lined with shelves of every Draconian's power essence in existence. The clear vials of silver liquid mixed with the red blood of the Draconian were labeled with the specific Insignia on the outside of the container, as well as on the red cap. I reached for the one closest to me, recognizing the two eyeballs with a third centered above them to designate the lie detecting, truth telling Insignia. 

Bastion's essence. 

I plucked it off the shelf and twisted it between my fingers, pushing the haunting scene of my father withdrawing his essence as he exiled my best friend from my mind. 

"Ah, the half-breed is back." 

I gasped and the vial slipped from my fingers at the unexpected voice. I scrambled to catch the thin flask and snatched it right before it made contact with the dirt floor. I straightened as my heart shoved against my ribcage and met the brown and milky white eye of the Wielder. 

"I thought you were dead!" I yelled, knuckles whitening around the container holding Bastion's essence. 

The Wielder hobbled around the splintering wooden table with his shoulders hunched as he looked down at his body and tapped his chest. His shaggy gray hair covered his head in patches and his skin held so many wrinkles that he could have told me he'd seen several centuries, and I'd believe him. 

"Not yet," he said reaching for my empty hand. I relented and he turned my wrist around so he could see my palm. "Mind control," he said, "That's what your mother was trying to hide."