CHAPTER TWO

AERYN'S POV

The blood drained from my face and my eyes widened as I gaped at my father.

"It's a symbol of trust," he continued, ignoring me. "I allow her to live in Ravos as your princess once she graduates from the academy this year, and give you access to all our resources."

My mind whirred as I tried to process the marriage my father was arranging, and the plan he made to send me away to the demon kingdom. So, this was why he wanted me to attend the Consul meeting; he just couldn't wait to get rid of his powerless daughter.

My already low likelihood of surviving until graduation just plummeted even more.

"And you think just a marriage between our heirs will be enough for me to agree to put an end to the war?" King Kristos countered.

"No. You may add your own conditions."

"We will come to an armistice if your daughter marries my son, and if my son is admitted into your academy."

At that, the hooded figure beside him went rigid, and the flames of the candles snuffed out.

"Absolutely not," the cryptic man refused with a hint of rage in his brusque tone. "The girl is powerless."

How did he even know that?

I hadn't realized I'd spoken the thought aloud until all eyes turned to me. I crossed my arms over my chest, wishing I had the power of invisibility.

Pushing back his hood, the Demon Prince pinned me with his vehement glare. A section of bone covered a quarter of his face; starting just beneath his hairline and covered one side of his forehead. It ended above his cheekbone, surrounding the area around his silver eye that had the same red outline around the irisa as his father's. A few strands of his white hair had escaped the loose bun at the back of his head and fell in front of his other black eye. His pale skin was marked by black veins and he had two black horns that curved in a wicked arc on his head.

He held up a palm and fear laced through me as I caught sight of his Insignia. The symbol marking his power on his palm was of a skeleton's hand holding a wilted rose. Coils of smoke leaked from the Insignia and crossed the room until the tendrils reached me. The smoke combined to form a hand and I froze when it grasped my jaw between two fingers, tilting my head to the side.

"I can't feel your essence," he said to me, closing his hand. The smoke dissipated and I released the breath I'd been holding. Focusing on my father, he demanded, "How can you expect me to marry your daughter when she doesn't even have a power? She'll do no good for the kingdom."

King Kristos turned to his son with rage. "Shade," he snapped. "Enough."

Shade clenched his jaw, shoving up from his seat. The chair tumbled out from behind him, and he stormed out of the double doors as his floor-length robe billowed behind him. I cringed when he slammed it shut and couldn't bring myself to look at the emperor.

My heart had sunk at the prince's outburst. My father was going to be livid and even more ashamed of his daughter. Not even a demon – the most evil, cynical creature in existence – could tolerate me.

Emperor Nepheus interrupted the deafening silence. "If she does not develop an Insignia by the time she graduates in a few months, then you may refuse the marriage. I request a ceasefire in the meantime. However, I cannot accept your son into the academy while guaranteeing his safety among the Draconians attending the school."

King Kristos touched the chin of his bone mask with a talon, feigning being lost in deep thought. "There is no need to discuss further conditions if your daughter doesn't get her Insignia by graduation, anyway. And if by some miracle she discovers her power, then we can return to this treaty. I will agree to the ceasefire until she graduates."

I caught Bastion's eye as his face paled. He gave a quick shake of his head and whispered something to his mother under his breath. She stiffened, shooting a look my way before neutralizing her features.

Bastion's Insignia granted him the ability to see the truth in lies. There was something the Demon King was hiding, but before anyone could add another word, he exited the doors his son had just left through.

I wasn't sure what I had been expecting, but a marriage to the Ravos Prince was not at all close to what I would have guessed. He terrified me and the amount of power I felt from the hand made of smoke made me tremble.

My father was the next one to leave and didn't even spare me a second glance as he strode out of the room into his office, flicking the lock behind him. I leaned against his throne and nearly jumped out of my skin when I felt a tap on my shoulder.

Bastion stood in front of me, concern twisting his mouth in a frown. "It's a death sentence, Aeryn," he hushed, rushing on, "The king lied about accepting all the conditions of the treaty. He may agree to the arranged marriage, but it's just a ploy to get you close to them. They've been planning your assassination for a while and you being the Ravos Princess makes it that much easier to carry out the murder."

I should just kiss graduation goodbye at this point.

——————

Thanks for reading the second chapter! Any thoughts so far?