CHAPTER THIRTY-NINE

I clutched the dragon egg to my side, body swinging with Edge's erratic movements as he steered clear from the shards of ice coming at us. He'd lifted us high enough into the night sky that the cold nipped at my nose and whooshed through my thin dress. I couldn't see the ground with clarity, but I could hear the shouts and screams of the Draconians fighting the Cursed demons below.

Don't let anything happen to that egg, Zoran warned.

And he was back to indifferent concern for my life.

Don't worry, Serene said to me, I'll protect your shifter.

I started to say, He's not my shifter at the same time as Zoran scoffed, I can handle a few demons.

Warmth spilled from my shoulders, slithering down my chest and back as Edge's talons tore through my skin. I gritted my teeth and hissed, "I said, put me down."

"Your rule is my command, my Princess."

His talons retracted and he released me. I plummeted through the air, spiraling uncontrollably as I fell and flailed my arms. My crown bumped against my hip as I scrambled inside my cloak, reaching for the vial as I pinned the egg to my side with my other arm.

I'd been instructed not to use the vial until I needed to and the Wielder had emphasized the importance of not awakening my power too soon, but I figured falling to my death constituted the most vital time to drink the suspicious substance. Zoran's powers would not be helpful in this situation, so I had to resort to the last option.

The air whooshed around me, blowing at my cloak and dress as I continued to plunge.

Slipping the vial from my belt, I twisted the cap between my fingers and unscrewed the lid, pushing my thumb over the opening to not lose any liquid as I brought it to my lips and downed the blue liquid. I pursed my lips at the bitter taste and braced myself for the intense rush I'd felt when the Wielder had me try the vial of telepathy.

Nothing happened.

Is that you falling like a maniac when you have three dragons?

If I hadn't been so petrified, I would have rolled my eyes at Zoran's obvious question. Instead, I cursed the Wielder for his ineffective concoction and screamed only for the wind to steal my breath. I dug my hand into my cloak and rubbed the surface of a dragon scale, plugging my nose in case I summoned Rays.

A plume of hot steam rushed around me as Tanwen appeared, swooping under me. I landed on his back and grabbed onto the red scales along his spine, hanging on as he flew upwards in a sharp incline.

What are you doing! I demanded, feeling lightheaded as I strained to keep two dragons summoned. Even with Zoran's essence combined with mine, I still wasn't strong enough to summon both Serene and Tanwen at the same time. Something was still blocking my essence and it didn't help that we were gaining altitude at such a rapid pace where it was difficult to breathe at this height.

I'm going to kill the demon.

"This is not where I die," Edge said, smoke wafting from his palm with purple sparks as we approached, "Not by your hand nor by any dragon. That is centuries away. So, unless you'd like me to intervene and bring your death sooner, I suggest – "

Tanwen opened his mouth and spewed a torrent of magma at the violet-eyed demon shifter as I swept my arm out to channel some of Zoran's ice wielding power, but yet again, nothing happened. My hand didn't even glow blue like his. Edge clapped his hands together and pumped his torn wings, eyes shining through the bone mask as another wave of shrieks pierced the night. Evading the lava, he levitated a safe distance from us and crossed his arms over his chest as more smoke fanned from his hands.