CHAPTER FORTY-ONE

I was hoping you were going to fight me on that whole concept, Zoran said, but it looks like logic pervades longing.

Stop listening to my thoughts.

"It's not my fault you're sending all your thoughts right to me. You need to work on blocking what you're thinking from me."

I trudged behind him, imaging an impenetrable wall in my head safeguarding my thoughts from escaping.

You're the most frustrating, vexing, irritating shifter I've ever met.

"Did you hear that?" I inquired.

"What?"

"Nothing," I said, satisfied my mental walls had worked.

Looking at me over his shoulder, Zoran's smoldering eyes pinned me as he said, You're the most intriguing, strong-willed, impressive summoner I've met.

Opening his mouth, he held up a hand and continued, "You basically said that right to me. The next time you don't want me to know how you feel, try not to speak directly to me. I'm not a mind reader, but it's quite simple to know what you're thinking when you don't try to hide it."

I clamped my mouth shut, willing my mind to blank as I grabbed my throwing star and ignored the Dracnae swimming around in my stomach. We picked up our pace with Serene walking beside us, and made it to the center of the town where a giant barn sat in the square. The red paint was chipping, and the roof was caving in, but I could appreciate the beauty for what it once was when Mavis was a thriving farm town. This barn was where its townsfolk gathered for special occasions before the demons had taken it over and forced everyone to flee.

Zoran entered the cavernous structure and climbed the ladder to the raised loft. I sheathed my weapons and patted Serene, recalling her back to her realm as I rubbed her scale. I was careful to avoid stepping on my dress as I made my way up the ladder behind Zoran. He had to hunch his neck a bit, but my shorter stature fit just fine as I joined him. The wooden boards were rotting and there were missing planks in various spots. Stray pieces of hay littered the ground and a wooden railing lined the entire loft that wrapped around the whole barn.

Zoran sat on a bale of hay and leaned back against the wall, closing his eyes as he heaved a sigh. I took a seat on the ground and crossed my legs, leaning back on my wrists as I studied him and knitted by brows. I slumped, lowering onto my forearms as exhaustion consumed me. Now that I had two essences flowing through me, I should have been feeling energized and rejuvenated, especially since my sole essence had been dormant for so long.

All these challenges and tests were taking a toll on me. Not to mention the constant stress I felt about Penn and even Bastion, as well as the constant sorrow I had for all my friends who did not make it to graduation.

My hair had become loose in the braids, so I tucked the few stray strands behind my ear as I looked around, wondering, "What are we doing here?"

"I think we've both verified we're fit to be each other's Champion. We're trustworthy, compatible, and committed to protecting each other in the face of death. We can just wait out the rest of the Test of Talons and keep our egg from getting even a scratch on it," he explained without opening his eyes.

"I still think you're wrong about the eggs. We're going to seem like useless Champions when we show up with one egg while the rest of our Force went out and gathered more."

Zoran opened an eye. "This doesn't sound very trusting to me."

I laid on my back with a groan. "Forget it," I grumbled, folding my hands on my stomach.