CHAPTER THIRTY-EIGHT

The sun had set behind the mountains by the time we'd exited the walls and found ourselves in bleak Mavis. Despite the lack of sun, the temperature was much warmer away from the mountain. I undid the top of my cloak and let it drape around my upper arms, cautious to keep the egg from falling out as I slid off Serene's neck to stand beside Zoran. I tightened my hand in a fist to keep his Insignia hidden on my palm. I couldn't wear the glove without looking suspicious now that everyone knew I'd have his power.

"Your powers will be weaker out here without the combination of the dragons' and fallen Draconians' essences to fuel yours," Morgana said, scanning the landscape as we formed a semicircle around her. "We've left the safety of all the essences drifting around our empire to protect us. Thus, you must figure out how to work with your Champion and use your freshly combined powers to get you through phase two. The compatibility of your bonded pair will be determined by assessing how well you take care of your egg while gathering eggs from the other Forces."

Asteria's Champion, Kiko Dupree, raised her slender arm and wondered, "Should we stick together as a Force, or branch off into our pairs?"

Morgana responded, "That is up for you all to decide. Keep in mind, this is the Test of Talons which means your bond is the most important factor."

"Sounds like we should stick with our Champion before the group," Kiko realized, hooking her arm through Asteria's. The taller Draconian's pale cheeks turned a deep crimson and she turned away, running a hand through her short hair.

Morgana dismissed us as she flew to an abandoned barn nearby and perched on the roof.

I felt a nudge and turned to find Calandra standing next to me. Lifting her hand wrapped in bandages, she showed me the topaz knife she held as she said, "I'm still recovering from this wound you gave me during that last challenge, but I'm glad to see you made it in the Ice Force, Aeryn. Your aim is lethal."

"Thanks, Calandra," I appreciated. "And sorry about that. Are you able to use your ice wielding power?"

She shook her head. "Not until it fully heals, but I'm bonded with Denali so I can use his power as well as my frost breathing dragon to make up for it in the meantime," she explained, showing me the Insignia of a dagger striking through a bow in place of an arrow on her other palm.

Calandra shoved back her curly hair and snapped her fingers as a silver hue glowed around her hand. A substantial hatchet with a wicked curve materialized in her hand and she gripped the hilt, flinging the large weapon over her shoulder.

"I can replicate any weapon at will as long as I've seen it before," she said. "All I have to do is picture it and snap my fingers, and it comes into existence."

"How about this little weapon?" Zoran asked, placing his forearm on the top of my head as he leaned into me. "Can you make a copy of the princess?"

Calandra blanched, stuttering, "N-No. I can't clone a Draconian."

I whacked Zoran's arm off me and moved out of his embrace as he joked, "On second thought, one princess is already a lot to handle."

He dared to wink at that, and it took all I had not to throw one of my stars at him. It irritated me how well he knew how to get under my skin.

"Well, I'm going to go make a plan with Denali," Calandra said, heading towards her Champion, "Good luck both of you."

"Wishing you and Denali luck, as well," Zoran said, placing his hand on the small of my back as he directed me away from the crowd.

Once we were a safe distance from the closest Draconian, he ducked his head and whispered, "We should focus more on protecting our egg than gathering more. I think we should stay behind and take a defensive stance. The emperor said even one crack in the egg is unacceptable, but he never said anything about the importance of stealing eggs."