CHAPTER FORTY

The cries of demons ceased around us as they were killed or had gotten scared off by Serene's blast of frost fire. I looked down at my hand, disbelief flitting through me as I stared at the Insignia emanating a red light. An eyeball stared back at me, reflecting the image of a palm with a distorted Insignia in the center of the eye's wide pupil. 

I was supposed to feel ecstatic. I'd been looking forward to discovering my Insignia since I was a young child. I wasn't a dud and I had a strong power, but all I felt was impending doom and dread. 

I closed my hand and said, "I'm screwed. That demon shifter witnessed me get my Insignia and he's going to go tell King Kristos in Ravos, then I'll be married off to his demon son." 

Disregarding my concerns, Zoran placed the back of his hands on his lap and frowned as he looked at both his Insignias on his palms. The scar pulled down his lips in a harsh scowl as he griped, "Hm, I guess since I already have two powers, I didn't get your Insignia." 

"Now you're not listening." 

He stood, brushing off his lavish pants as he said, "I don't know what you want me to say, princess. We need to finish the Test of Talons before anything else happens or we'll be exiled for being worthless Champions. I'll ask again, how is the egg?" 

I couldn't take his frigidity. On instinct, I rubbed Tanwen's scale to summon him and warm Zoran up with some lava and frowned when the dragon didn't emerge. 

You're fully bonded to me now that your essence has been allowed out, Serene elucidated. You can't summon them anymore. We need to find an unbonded summoner in the Force who lost their dragon, or we can give their scales to Trainer Reishell for the new group of Draconian summoners entering the academy. 

Patting the pocket in my cloak, I thought, Rest up, dragons. Thank you for everything. 

I'll let them know your appreciation, Serene promised. I rubbed the bridge of her snout, staring at my red Insignia in the center of her forehead with awe, and took out the egg. 

A single crack marred the black speckled ovum, the jagged line crackling from the top to midway down the otherwise untouched surface. 

"Well, I was dropped like a hundred feet in the air until Tanwen caught me," I said with a shrug then winced, regretting the movement as more blood leaked from the injury Edge had given me on my shoulders. "It's in better shape than I am." 

Zoran's jaw clenched and the muscle ticked as he pushed a hand through his hair in aggravation. "This is why I preferred being alone during all the challenges," he grumbled. 

I didn't think. I just acted on pure frustration. 

I jabbed a finger at him and a streak of blue zipped down my arm, flinging off my fingertip as it dashed across the space between us. The pitiful squirt of water splat against the front of Zoran's pants and he glanced down at the mark. 

"I'm not sure if your aim is awful...or incredibly accurate," he said, dragging his eyes to mine. 

"Just because you can breathe frost fire doesn't mean you have to infuse your attitude with it," I said. "You know full well this test isn't just about taking care of our dragon eggs. You have a living, breathing partner – " 

"I wouldn't go that far, princess. We're Champions, not partners." 

"I know. You've made a point of clarifying that already." 

"Great. Now that we finally agree on something, lets pass this test without any further damage to our egg. Shall we?" he asked, heading deeper into Mavis. He kept his focus straight ahead and didn't even lift his gaze to his mother as he passed by her still sitting on the same roof as before the sudden demon assault.