CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX

I shook my head, pocketing the third scale. I had to find Rays and Tanwen new summoners. Something was blocking my weak essence, making it impossible for me to be able to summon all three dragons.

A wave of nausea washed over me and I stumbled backwards into Serene. Dark spots danced across my vision as I leaned all my weight against her front leg, sweat soaking the back of my shirt.

"I can't keep both of you summoned for much longer," I panted with my hands on my knees. "And why haven't either of you tried communicating with me before?"

We've been.

The deep, rumbling voice sounded in my head and Rays flared his nostrils, dragging his claws through the snow.

A much softer voice flittered in my head as Serene lowered her head to my shoulder. It felt like there was a wall each time I tried to speak to you.

"And it's not there anymore?"

It's still there, but not as strong, Rays said. You have a scale to find.

I smiled at Rays. "So, you think I'm capable of joining the Force then."

Rays glanced at Serene who averted her gaze and I rolled my eyes.

I missed it when you didn't know we could speak to each other.

"Very funny."

I wasn't joking. But if you want to find the scale, I suggest recalling...Serene.

"Why did you say her name like that?"

Serene spoke up next. You named me.

"Yeah, I thought it matched your aura," I said, scrunching my brows in confusion.

We are all named by Armaeda and Hyrule, but Serene couldn't tell you what her name was when you were given her scale.

Embarrassment flared up to my face, reddening my cheeks. "Oh. I, uh...what's your real name?" I asked, searching Sere – my dragon's – golden eyes.

Serene, she said. I like it.

I scratched the top of her head in appreciation, withdrawing her scale from my pocket. "Okay, Serene," I said, rubbing it, "It's time for you to take a nap."

Her essence was sucked into the scale and I tucked it back in my pocket, turning to Rays.

"We've got a scale to find," I said, climbing onto his neck.

Rays took off into the sky, hiding behind the clouds as he circled the mountain to avoid running into any other Draconians. My stomach flipped when I pictured Pallonia and Derryn melting in pools of their skin from Serene's frost fire.

I pulled back on Rays' horns as we approached Haddington on the western side of the mountain and directed him toward the entrance of an enormous tunnel just as Misty flew by on the back of her violet dragon. Snowflakes dotted her braids as she hovered beside us in the swirling snow, face pale and veins bulging black around her dull eyes.

"We can't go through the tunnels," she said, "We'll be disqualified if we touch the ground and neither of our dragons can fit inside while flying."

"Damn, that's an unfair advantage for shifters. They can easily fly through the tunnels and keep themselves airborne without ever having to walk on the ground," I realized, shaking my head. "I bet Serene is small enough to get through with me on her back. Give me a second."

Misty nodded and moved her dragon out of the way as I took out Serene's iridescent scale and summoned her. Frost fire emitted in the air between us as she entered our realm. I patted the top of Rays' head and said, "Alright, your turn to take a nap," and jumped from his neck onto Serene's.