Chapter One: CANIS ALATUS

Chapter one:

[]CANIS ALATUS[]

The thick air hung heavy in my lungs.

Panting heavily, I whirled around with practised speed and trained grace and slid my sword into the last large, metal fighter bot's chest. With an electric sizzle, it crashed to the floor.

"End training," I grumbled to the voice-activated computer in the training room, pinning my large, sweat-drenched ears.

ENDING LEVEL 32

The AI voice boomed

Sweat dripped down my already sticky back as I walked to the locker room. Turning on a shower, I made it as cold as possible. Once I was in the steady stream of water, I closed my eyes and imagined the water, slowly and steadily forming a thin tendril, snaking its way up my glistening body. I reach out with my arm, guiding the tendril. It looped around the shampoo bottle, but before it could bring me the bottle, the tendril collapsed, running down the drain. I open my eyes and shake my head, ears twitching. I always hated how the water drowned out the sounds around me, making it easier for me to be attacked, as I couldn't hear over the water. The water was thunderous, because my ears are large, and I have almost impeccable hearing. Sighing, I reach and grab the shampoo with my hands. Dumping a good amount onto my hands, I massage it into my hair. Relaxing, I start to hum to myself. "Whatcha doin'?" A voice said from behind me.

"Ah!" I squeaked, surprised.

I use my arms to hide my chest and avoid turning around. Meekly, I peeked over my shoulder to see who interrupted me.

"Uh... Ira? Do you need something?" I stammer.

"Nope, just randomly standing here while you are in the shower. OF COURSE, I NEED SOMETHING KORI! Come meet me in my room once you finish that shower." Ira, my friend said, throwing on a heavy sarcastic tone.

"Okay, see you there. And knock or something next time. You can't keep sneaking up on me!"

Sighing, I tugged on my uniform and jogged down to Ira's room. Gently knocking, I said through the door: "Open up Ira, it's almost dinner, make this quick.". The door flings open, My face still inches from where the door used to be, and I awkwardly back up, chuckling. "Come on Kori!", Ira ushers me inside. "Took you long enough.". Yawning, I said, "What is it? Tell me it's not gossip about Pyri snoring again". Leaning her face close to mine, she wore a cheeky smile,

"Spit it out," I sighed, grumpily pushing her face away from mine by her nose.

"I can't wait!! We get our Spirit Dogs tomorrow! I don't think I'm gonna be able to sleeeeep." Ira squealed.

"Well, you'd better try to", I said slowly "If you don't you're either gonna be so high on nerves your Spirit Dog won't be able to find your scent, or you'll be so tired you won't be able to get up on time."

Ira rolled her eyes and chuckled.

"Well, if you've got nothing else to bother me about, I'm leaving. See you tomorrow." Quietly, I rubbed my eyes and yawned, patting my stomach to illustrate my point. I gave Ira a small smile, I got up and turned for the door, heading to the dining hall.

"See you there!" She called after me, scrambling to put away her books. I nodded, looked back, and waved, letting my gaze linger long enough to see her shut the sliding door. My wet hair dangled over my lower back, hanging in strands around my still-damp wings. With weather this blisteringly cold, I'd have to return to my dorm and dry off better. I sighed through my nose, putting on a speed walk to my dorm's sizable bathroom.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Word count: 635 words

Thanks for reading and have a good day/night!

(UPDATED X)