Chapter Twenty-Five | Sunshine of My Life

Start from the beginning

I swallow the emotions in my throat and nod, the thought of having been in Chairman Lee's situation instead of mine, threatening to turn me into a crying mess.

"I was very happy to hear that you and Kang Il resolved your past issues and are now the first couple on the team. Seeing him after so many years apart must feel like a dream some days."

I nod and sigh, "Dream some days, nightmare on others. Usually when he wasn't listening to my instructions at the beginning," I joke.

"Men are like that. We like to fight with the women we love."

"Chairman Lee, back to your offer. I really appreciate it, but I'm not sure—"

"I don't expect an answer today. It's a big change from being your own boss, so I understand your hesitation to leave behind certain freedoms, but I am offering a very competitive salary, benefits, and all of the advantages working for Lee Industries can offer you. Think on it. Take your time. The job isn't going anywhere anytime soon so you can discuss it with your husband first."

I let out a weak chuckle, "You sound like my mother. Kang Il and I are not married and nowhere near that stage. We just reconnected and started dating officially—"

"Tae Men," Chairman Lee says, turning back to look at me, dropping the honorifics and addressing me head on, "Society tells us we need to follow a set timeline. If my years with and without the love of my life have taught me anything, it's that when you know, you know. Don't hold yourself back if it's right. If he's right for you."

His words cause tingles to drift up my spine at the mention of my boyfriend and I nod my head respectfully.

"Bonus is if you two get married, he'll forever be on his best behavior so I'll have an excellent ballplayer with a huge personality upgrade."

Chairman Lee's serious tone of voice evolves into teasing and I find myself relaxing as his various words float around in my head.

A knock comes at the door and Lee Soojin, the Chairman's daughter, lets herself into the hospital room and waves at me, a small smile on her lips. She's decked out in scrubs and a nurse's cap.

"Hi Lee Soojin, how are you?"

"I am well. Hopefully Abeoji hasn't been giving you too much trouble? He insisted on handling the team accounts despite me offering to handle it," she sighs.

"You are handling everything else on top of your job at the hospital, I can handle this. Besides, I have a personal investment in the team right now."

I blush and Lee Soojin rolls her eyes at her father's teasing.

"I should be heading out now."

"Miss Tae, may I grab a moment of your time on your way out?" Lee Soojin asks.

I nod and head for the door with her following behind me.

"Thank you for making the time to come to the hospital to talk about the team with my father. It's the one business he refuses to give up control on, so your flexibility is super helpful."

"It's not a problem, Miss Lee."

"Call me Lee Soojin. I'm fairly certain I'm younger than you, there is no need for honorifics. Besides, with as much as I'm sure my father wants from you with the job, I can't have you addressing me formally when I am about to ask a favor from you."

"A favor?" I ask, confused.

"I know my father has proposed you come to work for the team full time, despite your history as a freelancer and a successful one at that."