CHAPTER THIRTY ONE

A D E L I N E

I spun around to meet the cold face of Azriel's cousin, Celeste, who started scowling at me even harder when she surveyed the dress I was wearing.

"Seriously?" Her tone was flat, judging but I held my ground regardless and dismissed it, "Why are you here? I don't remember you or server girl being invited?"

"Azriel invited us," I snapped before I could think. Of course, it was a lie - but her supremacist attitude had prodded every part of my brain already.

She looked confused, not buying it but also hesitant to accuse us. Her iced grey eyes ran another look along my dress, and then along Cirse's in what looked like disgust before she huffed, "Just stay out of my way."

With that she turned and merged away into the crowd.

"Why does she always have something up her arse?" Cirse mumbled in annoyance while I barked a small laugh in agreement.

"I wish I knew."

We spent the next hour exploring our surroundings together. The classical music along with all the rich attire created such a regal atmosphere; it was clear Cirse and I stood out like a sore thumb. I had watched Azriel a decent bit of the night too, assessing how he stayed slouched in his throne watching his subjects dance and talk - taking a few moments here and there to engage in conversation with other important looking angels who approached his throne.

I was still surprised he had not spot me.

Cirse and I had caught sight of Julian at the food table, alone. He held an empty plate in his hand, his eyes scanning the platters of food in front of him as if deciding very intricately upon what to get. I took this as a chance to slightly nudge Cirse.

"Go over to him," I whispered, to which her instant answer was to frantically shake her head. Again, I nudged her.

"You're going to regret it if you don't. You look so beautiful."

I watched as her soft face fell into an expression of thought - wondering if it's a good idea, before I shoved her again.

"Cirse, go!"

She pulled a face at me before going over to food platter area, and I almost hummed in delight when I saw the silver- haired male's look towards her in awe.

I was so caught up in watching the couple that I hadn't even realised someone calling my name from among the crowd.

"Adeline!"

I spun round, eyes darting through the people in an attempt to find the source. Again, "Adeline!"

Celeste. What the fuck does she want now?!

I tried to ignore her, pretending as if I hadn't heard anything and was unaware of her calling my name. It wasn't long till she was besides me, again grabbing my shoulder to spin me around.

"Adeline, where were you?!" She asked, a scent of bittersweet in her tone, "Have you tried any of the fruit punch yet? Our chefs crafted it from the finest berries in Pandaemonium."

"I think I am good, thank you." I forced the fakest smile in her direction, but instead the black-haired female grabbed my hand and started dragging me through the crowd. Confused, I attempted to dig my heels into the ground - but it was no use against the slip of the glossy marble floor.

Celeste led me over to drinks table, all of the beverages presented in regal glasses filled with fizz. I noticed how two glasses of a reddish liquid adorned with berries were isolated and set to the side, and she reached over to grab the glass on the left.