CHAPTER TWENTY THREE

ADELINE

The next morning we arose to the sweet songs of sparrows, a melodious tune I had forgotten about during my time in Velastille. The three of us had breakfast with Elena - a breakfast of various fruits and pastries. What would've once been juicy and delicious, now ash in my mouth.

As midday in the human realm fast approached, Azriel had made it clear that we needed to leave. He and Julian agreed to wait outside while I said my final goodbyes to my sister.

"When will I see you again?" She asked nervously, her chocolate eyes welling up with tears. She gripped my hand anxiously as if she was scared to let go.

"I'm not sure, Elena. I'm really not." And that was the truth. I wasn't sure how long it would take to convince Azriel to bring me back to the mortal lands.

I wasn't even sure if I would make it out alive.

"But," I continued, using my thumb to wipe a couple tears which had escaped her eyes while I choked back my own, "What I do know is that your life is going to be beautiful. You have a beautiful house, you will find a loving husband and have a wonderful family here. And best of all - you have Papa and Mother's memories."

"I won't have a sister," She rasped, "I thought you were dead for so long Adeline, but now knowing your alive, living with...with angels? How can I go about my life like this?"

"You have to. You have to live this life for me, Elena. For the life I couldn't have."

My younger sister remained silent, her eyes to the ground as she sniffled. I engulfed her into a warm hug in an attempt to provide comfort, feeling nothing but intense pity for her. Something in me wanted to stay here forever -   to hide away in the house and not return to the immortal lands, but I knew that wasn't an option.

I gave Elena a final squeeze before I head for the door, tears prickling behind my eyes. Outside, Azriel and Julian waited for me. I had expected them to be doing something empty-headed like playing cards or arguing about who had the best style in tunics yet instead they stood silently as if they knew this whole situation was difficult for me. Within a couple minutes of dark smoke, we had returned to the immortal lands of Velastille.

Back at the estate, I retired to my room immediately and did not come down for dinner that evening.

**********

A few days had passed since the last time I had seen Azriel. As for Julian, I had seen him earlier in the morning through my bedroom window at the stables; chatting with the stableboy. Celeste however, I hadn't seen since we had taken back the Velastillian weaponry from the cavern in Zybern, along with a few precious potions and tonics which she had indefinitely stolen while we were there.

It was only late in the afternoon but the moon had already made an appearance, glowing yellowy-white and loomed large in the blue-black sky. A couple million stars sprinkled behind it, a few large ones but mostly a multitude of little white pin pricks. It looked so lovely that I took a book from the shelf provided in my room, and head down the corridor towards the back garden of the estate.

Passing by one of the drawing rooms of the house, a voice rich with regal British accent called to me from within.

"Adeline."

And when I peered in, of course - of course - Azriel was lounging on one of the tufted chairs in front of a large window which had been accented with grand taupe-coloured jersey drapes.  He had an arm slung over the back of the chair while his other hand idly gripped a glass of what looked like Rosé, a glass bottle full of it set on the table before him. His dark wings were draped behind him onto the polished marble floor beneath us.