CHAPTER SEVEN

Azriel hadn’t been lying when he said training would begin at nine the next morning. Cirse, my kind maiden, had appeared at my door by half past eight - ready to have me dressed. 

Her gentle knock had hurled me awake - not that I had slept much throughout the night at all. For a second, I had wondered why my bed had felt so much softer, why the air felt so light and the atmosphere so calm and quiet - and then it all poured back in. 

After the second patient knock at the door, I slowly scrambled out of the bed in order to let her in. We awkwardly greeted each other, still strangers, and then she made her way to my wardrobe to select the relevant fighting suit while I freshened up in the en suite. 
When I exited, Cirse held the suit up to me. “Here you are. Slip this on and then I’ll tend to your hair.” I ran a brief hand through my brunette locks. It felt brittle, almost thin - nothing like how it once was but I had accepted it by now. 

Slipping on the suit was a task and a half. The fabric was a combination of leather and another dense material - perhaps latex, which meant it sat tight on my skin and hugged what existed of my waist and thighs. Cirse had tied my hair into a low ponytail, leaving two strands out from the front - a simple and practical hairstyle. She stayed silent while her fingers worked my scalp.

“Do you tend to everybody?” I asked in curiosity in an attempt to break the silence.

“Nope,” She replied back, her voice gentle and hushed, “I was hired specifically to care for you.”

My own maiden. Hired just for me? This was such luxury I hadn’t ever been exposed to.

I leaned back against her touch slightly, “Do you live here?”

“I do. I have my own room in the servant quarters of the building.”

“And what about your family?” I bit my lip, unsure as to whether she would even answer the question or not due to its personal nature. After a couple seconds, however, I was surprised to receive a reply.

"I have none. Not anymore, at least."

"What happened?"

“I was abandoned by my mother when I was a child.. I was left with no choice but to turn to the streets and remain there for almost half of my young years. That was until Master saw me one evening and I was fortunate enough that he pitied me, gave me some money, and said I would be the first to be offered a role in his estate when need be.” She gave my ponytail a final gentle tug to secure it, “And so that is how I ended up here, caring for you.”

She said she turned to the streets. Had that meant...prostitution? Although I couldn’t even begin to imagine such a sweet soul like Cirse in that situation, I didn’t dare ask her to clarify. 

Following my silence, Cirse quickly stood up, “Anyway, I’m done. If you are ready, let me escort you to the gardens. There’s only five minutes remaining until nine.”

I stood after her and when our eyes met, I managed to pass her a warm smile. Out of everyone I had already met so far, I felt like she was the only one who I felt at ease with - the only one who I could truly trust and the only one who wasn’t using me for selfish reasons.

We walked side by side to the gardens, passing through the majestic hallways once again with Cirse recommending key places I had to visit in the building. I couldn’t even  begin to comprehend how big the place must have been.

Finally arriving at glass doors leading to the garden, Cirse paused. “I hope you have a good session, miss. I will meet you after your session to bring your change of attire after your bath.”