CHAPTER TWENTY TWO

ADELINE

To my great dismay, Elena had reminded me that there was only one spare bedroom within the house with just one double bed. Julian had insisted on taking the couch, although I knew it would be too small for his over six foot build, but he had reassured us that he would be comfortable. That left Azriel and I to the bedroom.

I sighed at the one double bed in the centre of the room as Azriel shut the door behind us. Slightly annoyed, I quickly turned to face him. "There's no way I'm-"

Azriel lazily lifted his index finger and out of nowhere a single bed appeared in the corner of the room. He plopped down onto it and lifted a leg over onto his other thigh, starting to remove his dark boots, "Your sister is a delight, Adeline."

I didn't even acknowledge his words but instead stared at the mystical bed which he had summoned from thin air in disbelief.

"Y-You just...how did you-"

"It actually shocks me you both are sisters," He continued casually, kicking off his remaining boot and then leisurely sprawling himself onto the magical bed, "You're nothing like her."

"I guess not," I shrugged, perching myself onto the double bed I had now claimed for myself. "We grew up polar opposites. I was always known as the fiery one, and her the poise and sweet daughter."

Azriel clicked his tongue, resting an arm behind his head but gave no response. In the midst of all the conversation I had realised I had brought no night clothes, and that the warm fleeces I had clad myself in would be far too hot to sleep in.

Great.

And with that, a snap of Azriel's fingers and my nightclothes - the same black satin pyjamas I wore on my nights back in Velastille appeared on the bed beside me. I also instantly happened to notice a pair of dark coloured lace placed besides them.

"Lingerie? Seriously?" I held the flimsy underthings on my finger and wafted them in the air, unamused.

Azriel barked a laugh at my reaction. "It was a hard choice but I thought this was the one you'd look best in."

"You're so annoying," I rolled my eyes, snatching the pyjamas from the bed as I head into the adjoining bathroom to get changed.

Once I emerged, the room which was once cold and desolate now felt toasty and warm. Azriel was led in the bed he had summoned from wherever, his back toward me, and a few candles were lit around the room. I didn't even bother asking where they had come from, and instead slipped between the sheets.

A couple moments of silence passed between us and I was beginning to think the dark-haired angel had fallen asleep, until I heard him suddenly say, "I feel like everyone failed to protect you growing up."

My body paused where I lay and with confusion from where this had come from, I replied.

"And what makes you think that?"

"You were the family breadwinner from such a young age. A vulnerable, young girl forced to venture out into dangerous areas of her village to hunt food to eat."

"That's just how it is when your village is struck by poverty," I said quietly. "Not like you'd really know much about that."

"You had been going into the West Wood to hunt food alone since you were only seven years old, Adeline."

And then I froze.

"I have never told you that."

"You have."

"Azriel, I have never told you that I begun hunting at seven. How did you know that?" I demanded. Any warmth in my voice had leeched away.

There was a couple seconds of pause before he simply replied, "I just guessed."

As much as I didn't believe him, I didn't bother arguing. He must've guessed - there was no other logical explanation for him to know that, and so my restless mind convinced me it was just merely a coincidence.

"Anyway," I murmured, returning back to the conversation prior. "I may have not been protected, but if I hadn't been thrown into those woods that one night then my father would have died bound in the clasps of poverty and famine. He got to feel a full belly and a warm house before he died. Besides, if you hadn't found me then I wouldn't have a highly- skilled, undoubtedly professional archeress to fight for you in this war. You'd probably be sat in the estate bored out of your mind too without me - I bring humour to that place. It has the atmosphere of a cardboard box."

He let out a soft chuckle, "Perhaps so. You humans are so stupid it becomes funny."

"Excuse-"

"I wouldn't have it any other way, though," He filled in before I could grumble at him, "It's nice to have someone who challenges me from time to time."

"I'm sure you love it, cocky bastard."

Another soft laugh into the night.

"Perhaps I do, Adeline."

I wasn't given enough time to reply before the golden flames of the candles which ignited the room were suddenly extinguished, plunging the room into pure darkness.

________________________

ahhhhhhh guess who's backkkkkk

finally got a chapter in lmao😭 but i'm so glad to be back with this book. id recommend refreshing ur memory of the book considering it's been so long.

thank u so much for following along! please comment and vote if you enjoyed!

- j :) x