Chapter Four : Quidditch Tryouts

Start from the beginning

She must have felt his thoughts. A second later, he heard Anne speak again. "Sabrina, you'll come to tryouts tomorrow, right? I know you don't want to play, but you can watch and cheer us on!"

Sabrina cleared her throat. "Sure," she said, her voice small. "I can do that."

Sebastian nudged Ominis gently. "What about you? Will you be there?"

Ominis could feel Sabrina's eyes on him, watching him carefully. What was she looking like right now? Did she look as sad as he felt? Was she watching him with curiosity? Or did she even care about what he did?

Truth be told, Ominis had no idea how Sabrina felt about him. He had hoped a long time ago that she felt the same way that he felt about her, but Ominis had a hard time understanding peoples' intentions. But there had been many times last year where Ominis had been so close to her, so close to giving in to his desires to feel her face against his fingers before slowly and gently kissing her, and he hoped that if he ever got to that point maybe she wouldn't push him away. Maybe, she had also wanted him as much....

Ominis felt a deep shame at knowing that he had led her on; that he had helped feed into the idea that they could have ever been something. Every nerve in his body hurt to be so close yet so far away from her. But.... This is for her protection.

Turning towards Sebastian, Ominis answered him. "No, I won't be. But I look forward to you telling me about it afterwards."

Saturday morning greeted the students with a bright blue sky and a slight autumn chill. Anne and Sebastian dressed in some of their oldest trousers and sweaters, ate breakfast, and went to collect Sabrina before heading to the Quidditch Pitch.

"I'm worried about Sabrina," Anne confided in her brother. "She's been very down this whole week. And it's not because of her classes."

Sebastian frowned. "I noticed it too. She had moments like this last year, especially when she was working on the trials and all of the Keeper stuff. I hate to see her so upset."

"It's because of Ominis. Have you spoken with him? Has he said why he's been so distant?"

She watched Sebastian shrug and look down at his feet, a telling sign that he was withholding information. "No. But he's always like this when he interacts with his family."

Anne opened her mouth to speak, but just then Sabrina came up from the dungeons and greeted them. They began walking outside as Anne shoved some bread into her friends' hands. "Eat. You'll feel better."

The walk outside to the pitch was enjoyable. Lots of students from each house had gotten up early to watch the tryouts, anxiously waiting to see who would make the house teams. Hogwarts hadn't had Quidditch in a year, something that had been missing from normal Hogwarts life. Even Madam Kogawa was in better spirits than normal.

The students that were not trying out were directed to the large stands overlooking the pitch, and those trying to be on teams were shown the way to the field. As Sabrina was headed up to the stands, a familiar head of auburn approached the entrance.

Anne couldn't help but smile. "Fancy seeing you here."

Aurelia smiled back brightly. "I wouldn't dream of missing it!"

"You and the rest of the school," the Slytherin girl laughed. "Hopefully you don't get squashed in the spectator seats."

The Ravenclaw looked at her with some confusion. "Oh no, I'm not watching. I'm trying out for the Ravenclaw team."

Anne froze, staring at her potions classmate with concern. Aurelia was small and slender, not much shorter than Anne but definitely much more gentle looking than her. She wore trousers and a long sleeved undershirt, which really left little to the imagination as it showed off her curves and softness, but Anne felt like all it would take would be a bump in the wind and Aurelia would go flying off her broom. Not at all what Anne thought a Quidditch player would be. "You? Are you sure?"