Chapter Twenty-One

Start from the beginning

"Does this also mean you don't want me to take you to Thunder From Down Under?"

I turn my head and catch his impish grin. God, I missed the way we used to kid around with the greatest ease, exactly like this.

"I handed you the acrobatics comment, and you totally dropped it. You'd better not be fishing for something about male stripteases now, or who should be part of that."

"You thought about it, though."

I shake my head, watching him saunter back to his chair, mug in hand. "You are trouble, and I'm here for all of it."

The truth is, I really am. Even after the drama of last night, and even with the news about Len, there's something about being with him and doing the most mundane things, like sharing a meal, which makes me feel a kind of contentment I can't put into words.

༺☆༻ ༺☆༻ ༺☆༻

By the time we finish eating, Phoenix has convinced me we should leave the house for a very non-specific time span of "a little while," hinting at something he would like to show me. When it's clear that's all he will disclose and that he would rather leave our destination shrouded in secrecy, I stop asking questions and focus on the effort of showering and getting ready for what's left of the day. Vegas may technically be in the Pacific time zone, but it definitely runs according to its own offbeat clock.

He comes upstairs with me and shows me where the towels are. There's a moment when I'm tempted to pull him into the bathroom, my mind conjuring up long ago flashbacks of us showering together, but I doubt we'll make it out the door today if that happens. So instead, I command my body to chill out for a bit, collect the travel bottles of shampoo, conditioner, and body wash I brought with me from my bag, and leave Phoenix where he's perched on the edge of the bed, reading something on his phone.

After I shut the bathroom door and start to run the water, I think I hear him say something. I shut the water off again and approach the door to ask him if he can repeat what he said, then hear him speak more clearly this time and realize he's talking to someone on the phone and not to me.

"What's going on?" I hear him say as I return to the shower. "Is everything still cool, or should I be worried?" There's a pause, like he's listening, and then he continues speaking. "Today isn't good. My girlfriend is visiting from L.A. Can we try for Monday, or is that too much of a risk?"

That's when I remember the text I saw earlier. He must have seen the message and probably called Dalton. It sounds like a business conversation from what I overheard, but his question about if he should be worried and if waiting a couple of days for whatever they're discussing is too much of a risk are flags for me. I hope he isn't jeopardizing a job or something related to his career because I'm here.

I debate waiting for him to wrap things up on the phone and telling him this, or mentioning it after I shower, but then decide against it. Only he knows what's best for him and any upcoming work, and besides, he doesn't know I saw the message or that I'm eavesdropping on his phone call right now. I should relax, enjoy the day and what he has planned for us, and stay out of it.

Besides, I'm a little too schmoopy and in the clouds about overhearing him call me his girlfriend to someone else. It's silly, especially since we defined that last night and I realize I'm behaving like an infatuated teenager, but I can't help it and I'm not about to put a damper on how incredible this feels. All I want between now and Monday is to bask in this beautiful afterglow with Phoenix for as long as we can, and to savor every second of being together.

༺☆༻ ༺☆༻ ༺☆༻

Any ideas about where Phoenix, our favorite planner of surprise and secret romantic outings, plans to take Del? (*plasters face with a mysterious expression*)

I don't really have an author's note beyond that for this chapter. I only want to say thank you, as always, for being here and reading as this story continues to unfold. I love and appreciate you all!

 I love and appreciate you all!