Author's Note

ON THE WAY DOWN started as my ONC 2023 submission. Around nine chapters in, it became clear that Delaney and Phoenix's story was a full-length novel. It's a story of second chances in love, redemption, romantic suspense, and a Dateline-like mystery to solve. I hope you enjoy reading it every bit as much as I enjoy writing it.

Want to be notified when new chapters are published? Just add this story to your library and you're all set!

TROPES IN THIS STORY

Second chance
Redemption
One bed
Emotional scars
Is it all as it seems?
The one that got away

ON THE WAY DOWN - STORY SUMMARY

They say you meet the same people on the way up and on the way down. In her wildest dreams and story plots, novelist Delaney Sharpe never fathomed this could apply to her, or that it would involve Phoenix Alden, the ex-boyfriend who ghosted her while his acting career was on the rise to Hollywood A-list status.

When Phoenix struts back in to Delaney's life after a career nosedive and time away from the spotlight, he claims he's no longer the walking red flag he was when they dated. And when he asks her for a second chance—one weekend together to explain himself and prove he isn't who he used to be—she isn't sure what to do. Reuniting with Phoenix was a daydream Delaney had after he walked out, and before she healed, moved on, and found her own success.

Still, it's only one weekend, and there's a spark between them Delaney can't ignore. She can finally get answers about what happened in their relationship and where Phoenix disappeared to. But when the weekend leaves her with deeper feelings than she expected, more questions, and a mystery to solve, Delaney knows she must uncover the truth about the last few years of Phoenix's life to decide if he really has changed, or if he's a danger to more than just her heart.

PLAYLIST (IN PROGRESS)

Here's what I'm listening to while I write this and daydream about scenes. It's definitely an eclectic mix of songs from different decades that I'll continue to add to. There's no real explanation I can offer for my writing playlists beyond going with what creates the mindset I'm looking for.

Flowers - Miley Cyrus
Anti-Hero - Taylor Swift
Prophecy - Remy Zero
good 4 u - Olivia Rodrigo
All the Things I Wasn't - The Grapes of Wrath
Lie Lie Lie - Joshua Bassett
justified - Kasey Musgraves
My Head & My Heart - Ava Max
Faded - SoulDecision (even I don't know why)
Barely Breathing - Duncan Sheik
Wicked Game - Theory of a Deadman
Telling Myself - Joshua Bassett
Salt - Ava Max
Don't Let Go - En Vogue
Thinking Out Loud - Ed Sheeran
All of Me - John Legend
Taking You There - BROODS
On the Way Down - Ryan Cabrera
Perfect - Ed Sheeran
Move into Me - Bad Sounds, BROODS
Lovesong - The Cure
hostage - Maggie Lindemann
Afterglow - INXS
Mood Ring - Cannons

FOR THE CURIOUS

Back when On the Way Down was still an ONC 2023 submission, it was based on these prompts:

Primary prompt
51. The problem with red flags is that I'm attracted to them.

Secondary prompt
5. Flip the coin and make a life choice with it. Two choices, one coin, and no turning back. Do you dare?

COPYRIGHT