Chapter Sixteen

Landing in Vegas is always an experience, between the desert winds that bounce the plane around during the final approach and descent, and the view of the Strip from overhead and then from the taxiway. My flight there on Friday evening is no different, but I hardly notice the turbulence since my head is still somewhere in the clouds. It's difficult to believe it's only been three weeks since I was last here, with all that's changed since then.

Just landed. ILYK when I have my suitcase and am outside.

I send the text to Phoenix. A heart bubble reaction from him appears beside it almost instantly.

Once I'm off the plane and weaving past people and the airport slot machines, I expect to head for the baggage carousel to wait for my suitcase, and then to the passenger pickup spot outside. But when I exit the gate area into arrivals, Phoenix is at the carousel for my flight, waiting for me with a heart-stopping smile.

"Hi, you." His arms are around me before he finishes the second syllable. I melt into his hug on the spot, like the days between my birthday and now were hallucinations and we're picking up where we left off when we finally said goodnight.

"I thought you were meeting me outside the terminal?" I tilt my chin up to look at him. Our lips meet, and our kiss is soft and sweet. It's the family-friendly airport version of what I'd really like to do right now, and it's over far too fast.

He keeps an arm around my waist and peers into my eyes. "I couldn't wait that long to see you."

"The whole extra few minutes?" I tease.

"Too much to handle when I know you're here. Besides, you shouldn't have to lug a suitcase through here and across the bridge."

My suitcase is small, and although it's crammed with multiple outfits and pairs of shoes to be prepared for anywhere we might go during the three nights I'm here, it rolls and isn't heavy. I easily moved it from my condo to my car, then from my car and onto the shuttle from the parking lot to the terminal at the airport in Burbank, and then to the curbside bag check, but I'm not about to point this out or do anything but appreciate his thoughtfulness and gentlemanly behavior.

It doesn't take long for my suitcase to show up on the carousel. Phoenix pulls it off and takes hold of its handle, then threads the fingers of his free hand with mine. We make our way to the doors, and a wall of desert heat hits me when we step outside.

"I thought we could stop by my place first and go out for dinner in a bit," he says, after we've crossed the street outside the terminal and are on the pedestrian bridge to the parking garage. "I made a reservation at Salt & Pepper, but if there's somewhere else you'd like to go instead, I'll change it."

"Don't change a thing. That sounds amazing."

I'm not exaggerating, because anything involving him and me and the lights and glitz of Las Vegas truly does sound amazing. Other than mentioning Salt & Pepper just now, Phoenix has been mysterious about what our plans are while I'm here, and has only said there are some places he would like to take me. The more he's resisted spilling his secret itinerary for us, the more curious I've become.

My first hint at how carefully he's planned our time together happens soon after we reach his SUV in the parking garage. Once I'm settled into the passenger seat, Phoenix shuts my door for me and puts my suitcase in the back. After he slides into the driver's seat and turns the engine on, the stereo speakers come to life, revealing the opening notes of "Perfect," the song the string quartet played when we arrived at the candlelight concert last weekend. I steal a glance at him while he pulls out of our parking spot.

"Is this a coincidence, or did you choose this song for our drive?" I'm pretty sure I know the answer, which makes it impossible for me to hide my smile.