Chapter 23: Far Away From The Frontline

04/09/1637

Jin-Hark, Lourian Imperium

The sound of seagulls that perched above the furled mast warmed the morning on the port, creating a morning choir under the clear skies. The effect of Operation Meteor didn't impact much on the Lourian civilians. The ships from various countries seemingly entered and left the harbor, ignoring a Japanese Mogami-class frigate that was watching them from afar.

After the arrival of the Japanese Special Escort Flotilla the morning after the attack, Lourian Imperium declared an unconditional surrender to spare Jin-Hark from destruction. The hastily appointed king Georgis and his aide held a meeting with the Japanese diplomats, talking about the surrender of the Lourian Imperium. Since they didn't take the land of the Quila-Toyne Federation, the Lourian only needed to pay the reparation of the Japanese expense of the munition that was used during Operation Meteor.

There was a proposal to release the area that the Lourian Imperium previously conquered. However, with the previous king systematically erasing the trace of the previous ruler's family and both the current and the newly appointed lords being killed during the attack, the proposal was never realized. Giving democratization at the hand of feudalism wouldn't work due to the low literacy rate of the Lourian Imperium. Overall, The Lourians were allowed to keep their vast territory while forbidding them to annex more territory from their neighboring country. The second meeting between the Lourian and Quila-Toyne was scheduled for next week.

Peace finally came to the Rodenius continent, until something big came from the north. Up above, a vehicle that was best described as an airship flew above Lourian airspace. Measured the length of 180 Teefs and width of 50 Teefs on the ship-like gondola, while the Hydrogas-filled balloon on the top measured 320 Teefs in length and 80 Teefs in Width. A banner with a base color of crimson and a golden colored turtle resembled an Alligator Snapping turtle that was facing the direction of the wind that blew the banner. Known as Vulchalydra, this omnivorous land dragon was the national animal of Perlidia.

The scales that covered the area outside of this land dragon's carapace were capable of deflecting any blow from swords, spears, arrows, and matchlock shots if it landed outside of effective range. It was unknown when this land dragon appeared. But with the capability to conjure flamethrower-like magical attacks from its mouth, most people believe that Vulchalydra was a product of genetic modification by the Ravernal. The land dragon was used like a war elephant during the age of antiquity, for breaking through the enemy ranks to the pack animals that carried either supplies or heavy artillery where a horse was inadequate to do the jobs.

Back at present, a lone Perlidian airship carried important figures on the mission toward the Lourian Imperium. A lone figure with a slender body stood on the port side of the deck while the wind gently blew the golden-colored ponytail. That figure was Elto, a high-ranking officer from Third Foreign Affairs. She was tasked to demand the payment of the Loans that Perlidia offered to Lourian. The empire expected Lourian to win, but the reality betrayed their expectation. To cut the losses, they need to take back the funds that they gave to Lourian.

For Elto, this task wasn't interesting. In her opinion, it would be suitable for her twin brother, Alto to take the job instead. Since he was promoted to the senior officer of First Foreign Affair due to his outstanding performance, his previous position was later filled by Elto. Steeping a foot in a country outside civilization was something to be an embarrassment to other colleagues.

Suddenly, a pair of wyverns flew past their airship. The wyvern itself carried a pennant, with a sky blue background and a horse Chamfron in the center. The two wyverns promptly turned their course and flew on the side of the Perlidian airship. Elto saw one of the riders raise its hand and reach the right side of its helmet, seemingly communicating using a magical communicator crystal embedded in it. Not long after that, a Perlidian soldier –dressed in a royal blue coat and dark blue trousers with a golden line both on the outer side– approached Elto.