"Tired of being the exhibit for the night?" someone asked, making me jump.

Artemis leaned against the end of the drinks table, sipping a glass of something bubbly. She held up a glass in her other hand, offering it to me. Since Artemis was already halfway through her glass and still standing, I figured it must be safe for me to drink and accepted it.

"Tired is an understatement," I responded, sighing as I looked out at the crowd of men and women. "I wouldn't mind camouflaging in with the wall right now."

Artemis rolled her eyes. "You should take the attention while you have it."

I shot her a wry glance, wondering if I'd heard bitterness in her tone. "I would very quickly switch places with you if I could, you know."

"That would be a disaster. My red dress isn't really your colour."

I couldn't help but laugh. Fair enough. "How are you? I haven't seen you for a while." I hadn't seen her for days.

She lifted a shoulder. "I'm fine. I've been biding my time, plotting against the world," she joked, then her face turned solemn. "I saw what that Goddess of Gluttony did to your arm, by the way. I'm surprised you managed to stay alive long enough for Persephone to heal it. Your own powers must have similarly helped you pull through."

I swallowed the lump in my throat. I hadn't actually spoken to any of the other competitors, besides Alek, about my powers before. "When did you see me?"

"I was walking in the hallway when half the castle bustled past to take you to your bedroom. I helped wrap up your wound. You bleed like crazy, by the way. It's a miracle you have any blood left in you."

God. "I was hoping not many people had seen me like that."

She shot me a wink. "Don't worry. I think your look tonight has made everyone forget about you how you were passed out in Alek's arms. Speaking of...I haven't seen him yet, have you?"

It took all of the restraint in my body to not turn around and look for him. "No, I haven't. I'm not sure if this event is even his type of thing." I couldn't imagine him in a tuxedo or suit.

"You're his type of thing, which means he'll be here," she said with a smirk. "He's certainly upped his protectiveness since the announcement of the second tournament."

Artemis mentioned the tournament flippantly, as if she held no concerns about the physical trial.

"Are you not worried about the physical trial at all?" I voiced.

Her gaze, which had always seen so much and missed so little, landed on mine. "I may not be the strongest or fastest in the room, but I know who my enemies are. I also know who the enemies of my enemies are, and that's a strength in itself."

I took a sip of my drink, feeling its bubbles warm my throat. "How so?"

She shrugged. "I'll let everyone's hatred for each other get them killed, and then I'll finish the task as the last one standing." She leaned in closely to whisper, "It's easiest to get others to do the work for you."

My mouth formed a thin line. "Are you really going to bet on that?"

"Sure I am. Look, do you see Lyssa over there?" Artemis gestured towards where the Goddess of Wrath stood alone in the corner of the room, glowering at Hades' positive reception. "Her desperation for power is abundantly clear. Her children are the exact same. They may appear as a strong front right now, but I guarantee you that they will be at each other's throats when the time is right."

A shiver moved down my spine at the gory imagery.

"Is that why you and your own siblings keep a distance from each other?" I asked.