Chapter 11: Acceptance

"What would you like to discuss?" Jaune leaned back in his chair, facing Ozpin, who was sipping his drink. They had just returned from their test, and Ozpin had asked Jaune to meet him in his office.

"Thank you for inviting me. I haven't made a decision yet about staying at Beacon" Jaune replied as he looked at Ozpin's with his eagle-like stare that turn any predator to a prey. "The test was alright, though somewhat disappointing. Especially the other students, some of them were quite inexperienced. I'll decide later whether I'll continue here."

"Did you spot anyone with potential? General Ironwood mentioned your keen eye for talent" Ozpin inquired, prompting Jaune to take a moment to reply.

"I did notice a few, but most seemed like lost causes. Just by their stance from the start, It revealed how pathetic they are which can lead to trouble or even get them and everyone killed" Jaune explained before walking past Ozpin to gaze out of the large window. "But that's the fate of the weak."

Ozpin nodded and took another sip of his hot cocoa. "Perhaps but It's a shame, but we all start out weak but then we learn and grow into a improved and stronger versions of ourselves, no?" he remarked but Jaune didn't respond, prompting Ozpin to continue, "I understand you prefer getting to the point, So Mr. Arc. You've successfully entered Beacon, but you haven't chosen a partner or shown a willingness to work with others, So..."

※ ※ ※ ※ ※ ※ ※ ※ ※ ※ ※ ※ ※

"Finally, Jaune Arc, please come to the stage" Ozpin's voice resounded through the microphone in the Amphitheater. Everyone who had passed the exams had gathered with their designated team groups, which they would stick with for the next four years at Beacon Academy.

"Although he didn't secure a partner during the exams, Jaune Arc has demonstrated his capability to stand on his own. While he may not have a formal team, he will be the first to embark on a different path... a path that requires him to be the steadfast support for those who venture into the perilous world beyond Beacon's walls, a guardian, if you will. Tonight, we officially welcome Jaune Arc to Beacon Academy. He won't be a traditional team member, but he will be a vital asset to the unity and safety of our teams" Ozpin's speech for Jaune Arc triggered thunderous applause from the crowd.

"Remember, Future Huntsmen and Huntresses, our strength doesn't only lie in our individual skills but also in the bonds we forge and the support we offer one another. So, it is my honor to welcome Jaune and everyone to Beacon. May all of your journey be filled with the same determination that brought you all here today. Jaune Arc, Your supporting team name will be..."

"Team HWKS"

※ ※ ※ ※ ※ ※ ※ ※ ※ ※ ※ ※ ※

Alone in his assigned dorm room, Jaune sat comfortably, engrossed in a newspaper. He held a small glass of red wine in one hand, and a pair of reading glasses rested on his nose.

"Seems like the doctor's Daughter is still unknown to the general public, and there's news of some new type of Grimm discovered on an unknown island called Vespertilio Castrum

"Seems like the doctor's Daughter is still unknown to the general public, and there's news of some new type of Grimm discovered on an unknown island called Vespertilio Castrum... Interesting" Jaune murmured to himself. He flipped to the next page and took a sip from his wine glass. "Hm? A Grimm sighting that reports a small girl resembling a Gei-"

His reading was abruptly interrupted by a series of knocks on his door, accompanied by indistinct mumbling. Jaune sighed, reluctantly putting down the newspaper and taking his wine glass with him as he walked to the door. He opened it to find some familiar faces waiting outside.

A Ginger-haired girl lunged at him as soon as the door opened, but Jaune sidestepped her with a blank expression, taking a sip of his wine.

"Ouch! Why did you dodge?! You're supposed to accept it when you're with friends!" the girl protested with a pout.

"Nora, you did just leap at him out of nowhere" another girl behind the red-haired one reasoned, earning an "Aw, phooey!" from the girl named Nora.

"Sorry about her, Jaune" the girl bowed slightly as she entered the room. Jaune's expression remained unchanged, as he recognized these individuals from his time in Kuroyuri.

"Mhm" he replied, walking back to his seat and resuming his reading. Nora, who had already made herself comfortable in the room, took the opportunity to inspect her surroundings.

"Ren, Jaune hasn't even changed anything in his room" Nora remarked, turning to Ren, who sighed. The girl bowed again toward Jaune and then settled into another chair in the room, while Nora leaped onto his bed.

 The girl bowed again toward Jaune and then settled into another chair in the room, while Nora leaped onto his bed

"It's a surprise to see you, Jaune... It has been a while" Ren smiled, but Jaune didn't bother to look at her or Nora.

"I know. How is Li Ren?" Jaune inquired casually, flipping to the next page of the newspaper. Ren and Nora froze, and there was hesitation in their voices. Ren, who had more control over her emotions, finally replied, "He... My father is no longer around..." her voice carried a tinge of sadness as she stared down at her clenched hands.

"...Hm... A shame, really" Jaune commented briefly, glancing at Ren before returning his attention to the newspaper. He took one last sip from his drink as Ren proceeded to discuss what had happened, presenting only the basic information. Jaune showed no interest in the conversation as he dont see why would he need to care for some people he knew from the past for but a minor amount of time, His responses were few and bored when he was forced to respond back. Later, as they chatted with the silent Jaune, he gave them a half-hearted wish for a goodnight, They assure him that they will see them in class the next day but Jaune had different plans. Ren and Nora left for the next room where their team slept.

"Honestly, she still doesn't have proper control over herself. Pity" Jaune sighed to himself as the night came to an end.