Chapter 3: Not All Are Good News

Three months had passed since the duel with Li and Jaune. Jaune trained Ren for three months, teaching her about Aura, controlling her emotions, and honing her mind. Jaune found a loophole for Aura training, constantly pushing its limits. He put Ren in dangerous situations, where her Aura almost shattered, but she managed to survive with just a sliver of Aura left. Jaune's name had become well-known in the village, rumors spreading about him being strong, skillful, and a prodigy. The kids were mostly afraid of Jaune Arc, while the adults remained puzzled by the boy.

In the forest, Jaune stood with Ren by his side, observing a wild hog foraging for food, its snuffling sounds echoing through the woods. Ren's mission was to hunt down the boar.

Jaune: Do you understand? Kill the hog in your style. I will not help you, even if it meant you dying. Prove your worth.

Ren nodded, feeling slightly nervous.

From a distance, Ren's dark eyes locked onto her target, a determined spark glimmering within them. Gripping the small dagger Jaune had given her, she approached the hog cautiously.

Ren's heart raced in her chest, but she remained composed, her senses sharp. She lowered herself closer to the ground, becoming one with the undergrowth. Each footfall was carefully placed, avoiding any sound that might alert the prey.

The hog's ears twitched, sensing something amiss. It looked up, and Ren froze for a moment before regaining her focus. With a surge of adrenaline, she launched herself at the hog, the dagger poised for the strike.

The blade found its mark, and the hog emitted a startled squeal before collapsing. The forest stilled, and Ren stood triumphantly over her defeated prey, gazing at the dagger in her hand.

Jaune: Hm...

Ren turned to Jaune, awaiting his response to her feat.

Jaune: You would have normally failed. You were slow and alerted the beast, and freezing for a moment could have caused your death and others as well.

Ren looked down, feeling somewhat saddened by the fact.

Jaune: However, you did kill it fast and with the right placement of the striking position to kill it fast without making too much of a mess. So good work.

Jaune picked up the boar and started to leave the area, with Ren quietly hopping happily on the spot, proud that she had finally impressed Jaune, even if it was a minor compliment. Compliments from Jaune were extremely rare.

For the past weeks, Jaune continued to train Ren, who happened to be a fast learner. He ordered her to train solo and meditate, focusing the aura in different places of her body. She worked on agility and speed in her legs, upper-body strength in her arms, and improving her senses and vision, with some basic Aura detection. Overall, Ren was getting a handle on her Aura and could hunt for herself in the wild, though fighting a Grimm was out of the question for her. She may hold some off with pure luck, but for now, they were too strong for her small child body with limited Aura control and no skills with any other weapon besides a small dagger.

As night approached, Li had left for a hunting trip and wont be back for around a month or so with his friends to keep the Grimm population low around these parts since they dont have a huntsman in town. Ren slept peacefully in her bed, while Jaune, though still young, sipped on some red wine he had purchased earlier with the Lien he had earned from killing bears and wolves. Grimm weren't worth anything like real animals since they would dust away after some time.

Despite the peaceful night, Jaune had plans. He looked to his left, where his scroll was powered on with a message.

(Mother: My boy... It's your father. He's no longer with us. He went out to protect our home and... He saved everyone but at a cost... I apologize deeply, my boy, for the late notice. We wanted you to know that he left a gift for you. So please, my son, if you read this, then it would mean the world to us if you have time to visit and receive the gift. Your sisters and I deeply miss you... Bye Jaune, my son.)