Darry

{Dally's POV}

I could barely contain my smile as I turned away from Ponyboy. I must've been grinning from ear to ear. I hear the door close gently and take that as my cue to be on my way. I descend the stairs with light feet so I don't cause any loud noises. As I get to the living room, I notice Darry isn't in his chair. He must've gone to bed.

I walk around the recliner and head for the front door. I'm almost on the handle before I hear someone from behind me.

"Not leaving so soon, are you."

Darrel was right there. I'm not gonna deny I was probably the toughest greaser there was, but Darry could certainly take me on in a fight. I was kinda scared of him.

I swallow my spit and only look at him.

"um, actually... I was just on my way out man."

"I saw you two." He speaks never breaking his stare or his pose.

"Oh-"

"And let me tell you one thing. If you're thinking of using my brother for anything forget about it. He's not one of your quick fucks, he's my baby brother. If you hurt him ever, I'll make sure you end up just like Curly." He changes his tone from stern to disgust when talking about Curly.

"Dar I-"

"I don't think you know how serious I am. If you aren't serious about him then you need to leave now. I wont have him be used ever again."

"Darry, I am serious about him. I've loved him for years, I've dreamed of what just happened for ages. I guess it's as good a time as ever to ask you... would you give me your blessing to date Ponyboy? supposing he wants to, you know..." I mumbled nervously. Darrel was the only guy who could make me nervous.

"You're asking permission?" He thought for a second. "I'm gonna be honest with you. If it was my choice I'd keep him away from you. I'd make sure you two never saw each other."

My heart shattered right then. That was something Darry could easily do. And I'd never get to see him again. My lip quivers at the thought.

"You aren't good enough for him. You're practically a hood, Pony's a smart, sensitive, sweet kid. Even after what he went through. I don't need you rubbing off on him."

I look around, trying to process what I'm hearing.  I run my hand through my hair with wide eyes.

"But it's not my choice. It's all up to Pony. I can't say I'm entirely surprised. He's always asking about you, gets excited when he knows your gonna be around."

"really...?"

"Yes. I can tell the kid cares a lot about you. Loves you, even. But that doesn't mean I think you're good for him."

"Dal I... I promise I can show you. I can be a great boyfriend for him, I swear, I can prove it."

"I only need a few things. I need you to stay out of trouble. Stay away from socs, the police, anyone who could get you in the cooler. And protect Pony. And- this is the most important for me. You need to show it. None of this keeping appearances shit. You're either all in or all out."

"You mean like... let people know we're together?"

"Yes. I wont have his feelings be toyed with."

"ok. I will Darry. I'll do whatever I have to, I need him, I'll do whatever it takes."

"You'd better. You mess up bad enough, i'll make sure you wont be able to hurt him ever again."

"ok, ok Dar..."