𝟐𝟒: 𝐁𝐢𝐭𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐜𝐨𝐥𝐝, 𝐁𝐢𝐭𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐞𝐦𝐨𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐬

Chapter Twenty-Four: Bitter cold, Bitter emotions

[ Schemer of the Scalding Sands Arc: Start! ]

As you stepped around the corner, eyes wide and bleary– you bumped into the three ghosts of Ramshackle, who seemed to leer down at you with fixed glee

" Hey, Y/n. Why so bleary-eyed? " the middle one asked you curiously.

The left one snickers. " You look like you've seen a ghost! " he chirped.

The right one smiled at you. " Today's the last day of the fall semester. Look sharp and don't bungle the landing," he advised you, making the middle one hum in thought as he looked at you and Grim– who seemed to have made his way down soon after you.

You hummed in thought.

The ghosts were right– winter break was here. And for the past few weeks, it's been smooth sailing for you thus far.

You were quite happy to say no overblots have happened since the last two, of Azul and Tate– and you were hoping to keep that streak going.

" Oh yeah! Tomorrow's the winter holiday. Have you two decided what you'll be doing? " the ghost asked you both curiously, tilting his head to the side slightly.

Grim blinked owlishly up at you all, tilting his head to the side. " Huh? What's a win-ter holly-day? " he asked, breaking the word up like a child.

You let out a small sigh, glancing at Grim.

" It's when school lets out for the season– most students go home to celebrate the new year with family. Some celebrate holidays, others don't and just get together with family– some even have special dinners," you explained lightly to the cat, frowning at the thought.

This would be your first Winter alone.

And sure– your home life wasn't great, but Winter was a special time for you. The warmness mixing with the cold– the sheer joy people had at being with their families– there was never a lack of treats in your household, either, thanks to your Mother.

In a very sick way– you missed it.

Just for the familiarity of it all.

" Wait, there's food?! " Grim asked excitedly, looking at you with wide eyes.

You hummed as the ghost took their time answering his questions. " And plenty of it. Roast turkey, pie, a ham as big as your head, you name it...not that us ghosts can eat, of course. " the skinny one shrugged.

It reminded you– you really needed to ask for their names.

You smiled. " Of course– some people have different foods, too, relating to their culture. " you quickly added.