Chapter 97: Awakenings

Start from the beginning

"Zane," Aria looks the Ice Emperor in the eyes "You've always protected us, so we're going to do everything in our power to save you."

"Protect," The Ice Emperor repeats

"That's right," Aria smiles gently "you remember right.. that you were built to protect those who cannot protect themselves. Even when I was young, I remember having a brother by myside who many didn't understand.. but I understood you. I know who you are and I know you do too. You can kick me, beat me, or even kill me.. but we will never stop trying to save you."

Zane stared at Aria for awhile before suddenly knocking Vex's spear away.

"Vex!" Zane rips off his mask, revealing his true voice "Don't!"

Zane knocks Vex back and looks at his scepter. He leaps up and smashes it to pieces. The curse of the Scroll lifts from the Never-Realm. All the Ice Fishers and the Formlings are freed from the ice. The Castle returns to normal and the ice disappears off Akita and Lloyd.

"Aria!" Zane rushes to her, putting his hands on the sides of her head "Are you ok? That looks really bad."

"I'm alright," Aria puts one of her hands over his with a smile "welcome back, big brother."

Zane wraps his arms around her and hugs her tightly as Lloyd walks over with a smile. Zane opens his eyes to see Vex charging at them with a spear and quickly freezes him. Lloyd wraps his arm around Aria and makes her lean against him.

"So," Zane turns to them "where are the others?"

"Yeah, where are the others?" Aria asks

At that time the rest of the ninja, Krag, and Grimfax charge in.

"Zane!" the ninja shout

"Lloyd!" Kai shouts

"Wifey!" Reika shouts

The ninja run up to the trio and hug them tightly. After the ninja returned to the village, Zane and the elder Sorla immediately tended to Aria's head wound who kept insisting she was fine. After a few days it was time for them to attempt to return home. The ninja and Krag walk into Sorla's home where she inspects the Traveler's Tree's flowers.

"I have consulted the spirits of the and I have learned of this Ninjago." Sorla shakes her head sadly "It is far from here, the leaves of the Traveler's Tree will not have the strength to bear you home."

"But I-I can get more!" Cole elbows Krag "Right, Krag?" Krag nods excitedly "You can help me up back the mountain and-and we can—"

"It is no use." Sorla says "No amount of leaves will suffice. If we only had something more portent."

"So we're stuck here?" Aria looks up at Lloyd, who had his arms wrapped around her to keep her warm.

Cole quickly started searching himself before turning to the elder "Sorla, what about this?" He opens his hand and reveals a berry. Sorla smiles.

"A berry?" Reika looks confused

"It's perfect," Sorla takes it from him "With this, I can get you home."

The ninja all smile and cheer "Haha! Yeah!"

Sorla prepares to send them home outside, a pink berry-shaped portal opens up and the ninja begin to go through one by one. Soon, everyone but Lloyd, Cole, and Aria are through.

"Well, so long, buddy" Cole says and Krag whimpers, begging for another hug "Alright, bring it, buddy. Give Cole a hug." Krag picks him up happily and squeezes him. "Whoa! Okay, okay. Take it easy!" 

Krag puts Cole down nicely and he walks to the portal. He waves goodbye and Sorla goes up to comfort Krag. Cole waves his final goodbye and walks through the portal, leaving only Lloyd and Aria. The two face Akita who looks saddened by them leaving.

"Well, I guess this is goodbye," Lloyd says

"Do you really have to go?" Akita asks before looking at Aria "I was wishing to get to know more about your shapeshifting abilities."

"Yeah we do," Aria says "thanks for trusting me so easily."

"It was more of an instinct," Akita tells her before smiling "but I'm glad I followed it."

"It was nice to fight beside you Akita," Lloyd says

"I wish you two happiness together," Akita tells them "your bond is stronger then anyone's I've ever seen."

"You must hurry, the portal is closing," Sorla calls out to them

"Take care of yourself." Lloyd says, taking Aria's hand.

Lloyd turns to see the portal grow smaller. On the other side, the ninja, Wu, and P.I.X.A.L. wait anxiously. He went to go to the portal but stopped when Aria didn't move.

"Aria?" Lloyd looked worried

"Times have changed Akita," Aria tells her "you no longer need to become a good warrior, just become a good person."

Akita smiles as Aria turns, gripping onto Lloyd's hand, the two run over to the portal and leap in just as it disappears. Wu and P.I.X.A.L run over and hug the two immediately.

"I'm glad your back," Wu says happily

"And you too Aria," P.I.X.AL adds "we were unaware you followed them, Master Wu was greatly distraught when we found out."

"I'm sorry," Aria giggles "you know I can't just leave these guys to save Zane alone."

"And we're glad you did," Kai adds

"Truly," Zane puts his hand on her shoulder "thank you for saving me sister."

"Of course," Aria smiles to him "that's what family is for."