Blood on Fire

***Trigger Warning***

I storm after my father, my anger at an all time high. He's ruined a lot of things for me, but this was something more. My relationship with Lyra is something more.

I didn't care when he got me fired from my dream job because he thought it was taking up the time he felt I should be watching after Inara, or when he ruined my friendship with a good guy because he didn't like the fact that guy had been to jail. He was worried my friend would hurt Inara (even though he was in jail for shoplifting). I didn't even blink an eye when he made me cancel my birthday plans I'd been looking forward to for months so I could learn to fight in case I needed to protect Inara. None of that bothered me, but now he's messing with Lyra and I. That's something I won't tolerate. I only get one soulmate and he's not taking her away from me. Lyra is the first thing that's ever been mine and I'm keeping her.

I tried to pretend I didn't like her because he destroys everything that matters to me, but he somehow knew. I can't believe he had the audacity to talk about another girl in front of her! What makes it worse is he did it on purpose. He knew exactly what he was doing with that comment about a girl waiting for me.

When he's in my sights, I yell. "What were you thinking?!"

He looks at me out of the corners of his eyes, not even bothering to turn his body towards me. "What was I thinking? What were you thinking running around with that sleazy little nurse when you have a good girl back home?"

He's playing a dangerous game now. "Watch your mouth!"

He looks away, hopefully getting the message.

I clench my fists. "You know Stephanie and I aren't together. You tried to force me to like her, but guess what dad...I DON'T!"

He steps closer, challenging me. "You almost married her son."

I point a finger into his chest. "That was because you said her mother was a cruel woman and the only way to save her was to marry her."

He stares down at my finger and then back up at me. "So, why didn't you?"

My laugh sounds almost maniacal. "I found out you lied to me."

The horror on his face satisfies me. He knows he's been caught.

"What are you going on about? Lied to you about what?"

My finger goes from his chest to his face. "Everything."

I have been waiting for this moment, the moment where I can finally confront him about lying to me. "Her mother never abused her. On the contrary, she's actually an incredible mother. I spent a lot of time with Stepanhie and was confused when she kept talking about how close she and her mother are. So, I had an in-depth conversation with her about what you told me. Imagine my surprise when she told me everything you said was a lie. So, now I'm just wondering why you lied about that?"