The Verdict

***Trigger Warning***

It takes hours for Brexton to catch me up on the material that was on my homework. Partly because it is challenging, partly because we were distracted. The distraction part is mainly my fault. It could potentially be our last night together for a long time and I can't help but be all over him. I will say though, studying has never been more fun.

"I think that's the best we're going to get." I close my book and stretch. "Thanks for helping me. I'm sure this is the last thing you wanted to be doing tonight."

He takes the book from my lap and sits it on the nightstand beside him. "Are you kidding me? It's exactly what I wanted to be doing. All of the advanced anatomy talk really took my mind off of tomorrow."

I crawl onto his lap. "You're sweet, but you're a liar." I say as I push him back onto the bed. "Now, get some sleep! I might have to bust you out prison tomorrow so you've got to be ready."

He shakes his head, kissing me softly. "No! If this is my last night alone with you, I am staying up all night. I don't want to waste a second."

I press my hands against his chest. "Don't tempt me! Falling asleep in court isn't going to convince anyone you're innocent."

He plays with my hair. "Ugh, but you look so good."

Butterflies awaken in my stomach but I try my best to suppress them. This is serious, Inara trusted me and I will not let her down. "Have you told them what really happened? Like, the police and your attorney and stuff?"

"No. I have no proof that that's how it happened. Inara is the only other person who was there and I refuse to let her testify. Making her talk about it again would be torture. Not that she has a choice."

He pauses, debating whether or not to continue. "That's the deal I made with Brant; if we keep our mouths shut, he leaves her alone. He let her live, but he has so many people on his side, dangerous people that could track her down in a matter of seconds and finish what he started. Plus, I have you to protect now too."

I sit up, processing this. "He's the one responsible for all of this, he should be the one who's afraid. I guarantee you're smarter than he is and I'm crazier. I think you should tell them everything. It'll be us against him and I like those odds."

The look he gave me when I yelled at Jessica was back. Pride shines in his eyes. "That's too easy. After all he's done, he's earned the right to be accused of something terrible that he didn't do."

I lay across his chest and look up at him. "I love the way you think. It's too bad he doesn't care about anything except himself. That's the only thing he has against you, you care about people."

"Hmm, but that's also his downfall. He's not loyal, so all we have to do is get him to cross one of the people protecting him. I'm sure this isn't the first time he's done something like this, someone somewhere is holding back information that could bring him down."