Shots Fired

***Trigger Warning: Violence***

Jeremiah smirks at me. "Hey babe."

He looks like he's ready to go into a business meeting, not commit homicide. He's wearing a white dress shirt, with the top buttons undone to showcase his muscular chest. His bleach blonde hair is perfectly jelled in place as if there wasn't even a struggle. As if this was easy for him. He looks good, but when I look at him, I don't feel the same way I used to. I see a narcissistic, internally ugly, attention-seeking psychopath where I used to see my boyfriend. I hate that it makes me sad.

I break out in goosebumps. I put my hand on my gun that's hidden under my shirt. "Seriously?"

He presses the gun to Jessica's head, making her cries grow louder. "Not another step unless you want her blood on your hands!"

I laugh coldly and continue to walk towards him. "You think I care about Jessica? Please, I came here for Brant. Where is he by the way?" I make sure disgust shows on my face when I say Jessica's name. I need him to believe me.

"Right...Brant." He grins. How is he so happy while holding a gun to someone's head?

I see Brexton's viridescent eyes looking at me from behind Jeremiah's back. He's crouched on the other side of Jessica's fancy kitchen island. Shock is plastered on his face.

I lift my shirt just enough to expose the shiny black pistol I was carrying. "You know what's strange? I've had this theory that I can't seem to let go of about you and Brant."

I take larger strides towards him, wanting to look braver than I felt. "You're the same person, aren't you?"

Amusement dances in Jeremiah's dark eyes. "It only took you four years of dating me and countless murders for you to figure that one out."

This entire time it's been him. My heart feels heavy and my breathing becomes increasingly labored. While I was kissing him, sharing a bed with him, telling him I loved him, he was selling and killing people. I can't deny that I was partly to blame for all of this. I should've known, I should've stopped it.

I want to throw up, but I swallow it down and put on my game face. "Jeremiah, Brant, whatever you call yourself, I think I'd jump off my high horse if I were you. Did you forget I deal with people like you on a daily basis? You're predictable to me."

I aim my gun at Jessica, causing her to squirm. "I, on the other hand, am something you'll never understand."

He flinches before quickly putting on a blank face again. "Oh yeah? Did you predict this?" He turns to the bedroom door and yells, "Come on out!"

Another man comes out with a struggling Inara. He has a gun aimed at Inara's heart. She has tears steaming down her face and is visibly shaking.

I have to stop myself from running to her. When I look closer, I gasp. The man holding her is the officer who let Brexton say goodbye.