Fall Back

***Trigger Warning***

I visit my patients who aren't Brexton first, knowing I'll take my time with him. My nerves soar everytime I do rounds now. I know that Jeremiah said he only poisoned Roger to settle a debt, but when someone lies as much as he has you tend to have doubts. I already feel like I failed Roger, if something were to happen to another one of my patients I don't think I could take it.

I'm overly cautious as I go through my routine checks on each client. When I'm done and nothing seems off, I relax a little, but only a little. This is no time to let my guard down.

I enter Brexton's room next. Seeing him after our last little encounter has me feeling tense. Is it even possible for me to see him and pretend their was no kiss? I'm no actress. I have no doubt my face is going to show exactly what I'm thinking.

The fact that I'm already in his room doesn't register until I hear his groggy voice. "Don't tell me you have to give me more meds?"

I snap back to see Brexton sitting up in his bed, twirling one of his restraints on his finger. "Okay, then I won't tell you."

He tosses his restraints. I resist the urge to laugh when it lands perfectly on one of the guard's sleeping heads. The elderly guard sends Brexton a warning glance. "This is exactly why you need sedated boy!"

Brexton looks at him, unimpressed. "Hey old dude, you need to get a life. I swear you guys are here everyday. If you're so grumpy, maybe take a day off."

'Old dude' looks at Brexton like he wants to kill him. "I wouldn't expect you to understand what a hard working man looks like. Something tells me you're no ball buster."

He sighs. "I guess if my job was to nap all day I'd probably work everyday too."

I stand between them, hoping to ease the tension no matter how funny I found it. "Ready for your shots,
Mr.McGomery?"

He stares at the large needle in my hand. "Sure, but you might want to split my dose and give half to old dude over there. He seems pretty riled up."

"Be nice." I scold him.

"Fine." He lifts the sleeve up on his hospital gown, giving me full access to his tattoo covered arm.

My eyes trial down his arm. His tattoos are breathtaking. I'm drawn to the a spectacularly shaded angel with flowing long dark hair and eyes that demand your attention.

"Which one are you looking at?" Brexton moves so close our legs brush against each other, making me remember how good his touch feels.

I point to the angel. He looks down at it, then back up at me. "That was my first tattoo."

"It's beautiful." I say quietly, so the guards don't hear me.

His smile brings my eyes from the tattoo. "You can touch me you know?"