Unexpected

Nenetl finally arrived home and dropped her bag on one of the sofas where she sat. So many thoughts trailed in her mind; Ferenc was a murder suspect. She also thought about Levente and Elek; they were hiding something. Nenetl walked toward her room to one of the large cabinets by the door. The young woman opened the top shelf and took out the gun that Levente gave her.

She hated the feeling of a weapon that could take a life; she never took it with her. Of course, Nenetl worked with children, and she couldn't risk having the gun found and used. However, she hated the feeling of it since it brought chills down her spine. Yet, it made sense to her why Levente gave her the gun; he knew something was off with Ferenc. The young woman sat on her bed, holding and looking at the gun. Then, it dawned on her that if Ferenc was a murder suspect, she or anyone in the town could be the next victim.

"Oh my god..." Memories flooded her with all the times when Ferenc asked her to join him in private to certain places and when he entered her house without her permission. It was as if Ferenc knew what he was doing; he had to have experience. Her thoughts were interrupted when there was a knock on the door. Nenetl slowly walked toward the living room and took a peek from one of the windows from afar; it was Ferenc. She felt her blood turn cold; she tightly gripped the gun and contemplated what to do. "I can pretend that I'm not home, but he's not stupid to fall for something like that," she told herself.

The young woman put the gun behind her pants and over her long sweater, walked toward the door, and opened it. Ferenc stood on the other end with his hands over his pockets. "Hello, Miss. Nenetl, may I come in."

"S-Sure. I'm surprised that you didn't break in." Nenetl wanted to slap herself for saying such things; she was nervous. She was scared but knew she had to keep her composure and think about what to say in the worst-case scenario. "S-Sorry, I went a bit far." Ferenc entered as he looked around the house and stood silently. "Would you like to sit? I can make coffee or tea or give you something else to drink."

"That won't be necessary; I don't plan to stay here long; apologies for returning unannounced."

Nenetl shook her head. "No, not at all. I-I wanted to talk to you about what you did at work. Why did you do what you did? I mean, I didn't want to cause trouble in the workplace."

Ferenc slowly turned to look at her; his hands were still in his pockets. "No, the workers caused their problems. They knew what was unacceptable, but they still took the risk even though you helped gain control over the children."

Nenetl was trying to play it cool; she was thankful she had something to discuss. "Still, I feel that everything may not be the same."

"Nothing stays the same forever; change must happen so times can progress. Anyway, I saw you in the bookstore and saw an interesting man coming out. Would you happen to know who he is?"

This is what the young woman feared. Her heart was racing, and she was thinking about what to say; she didn't want to put Levente at risk. "N-No. When I got to the bookstore, I-I just heard the owner and this man speak." Ferenc slowly walked closer to Nenetl, but she stayed in her place. She didn't want Ferenc to think that he could intimidate her. Nenetl didn't expect Ferenc to see Elek walk out of the bookstore. "I can't let him know what went on."

"Really? Would you happen to know what they were talking about?" he asked in a whisper-like tone.

"M-Mr. Ferenc, what is going on with you?"

"You sound nervous."

He suspected her of hiding something, and Nenetl knew she was hiding something. "Yes, because this is not the first time you have come here unannounced, Mr. Nadasy. I feel scared because I feel that something is going on. I don't want to get involved in something I am not a part of."

Ferenc was expressionless; his eyes didn't blink once as he looked at the young woman. He tried reading her expression, and he eventually gave her more space. "Forgive me, I have been stressed as of late, and since I am known in the country, I have enemies everywhere."

Nenetl felt relieved that Ferenc believed her, but it could have been a ruse to make her mess up. "Oh, I can't imagine your responsibilities, Mr. Nadasy. Either way, thanks to you, these children can get an education and a roof over their heads. We also have our jobs, thanks to you."

"Indeed, I came here to invite you to dinner. There's a special place I wanted to take you."

Fear overcame Nenetl. Even though there wasn't proof that he was a killer, she didn't want to go anywhere alone with him. "Th-Thank you for the offer, but I don't want people to get the wrong idea. I don't want people to think that there is something between us. H-How about this? You can come here at 7 pm, and we can do an outdoor dinner."

The businessman raised an eyebrow. "An outdoor dinner?"

"Yes, well, I call it that; it's like having a barbecue. When I lived with my mother and tribe, we used to cook and eat outdoors as a community. We used to have bonfires to cook food and eat under the night skies and stars. Have you ever done that before?"

"No."

Nenetl's eyes widened. "Well, this will be your first time. It may be simple, but I always find it soothing to eat with Mother Earth since she has given us plenty to live off of. Yet, we can be selfish and take more than what can be offered. What do you say?"

Ferenc thought what Nenetl said was ridiculous but couldn't deny feeling intrigued. He never experienced something like that before. "Very well, I will come by tonight."

"Great! Can you bring some sodas? I can buy the meat since you are my guest."

"Sodas?"

"Yeah. You have drank sodas before, right?" When Ferenc said nothing, Nenetl couldn't help but feel stunned. She had never heard of someone never trying soda, but he was wealthy and probably had the best quality drinks. "Well, you can buy simple Coca-Cola or anything that interests you. I can also make some salads to go with the meat. Would that be okay?"

He nodded. "I will see you tonight, and I will bring sodas."

"Perfect! See you tonight!" she motioned him out of her house and waved goodbye. When he left, she went inside and closed the door shut. Nenetl drooped down to the floor, thinking about what she had done. However, it was better than going out with him to a place that could be her timely end. For now, she had to play it careful and safely, hoping that everything would go well.