43

"I'm scared of getting hurt"

"We're home" Eric announced, walking in the kitchen with his sister. 

"Cory, where is he?!" Brooke asked, frustrated. 
"Uhhhh..." Was all Cory could say with a frozen face.

"Stop it! He's standing me up, isn't he?" She took off her purse and plopped down on the chair. "I get it, he's your best friend. Just don't defend him. Jen was right. He is not ready for a relationship!" 

"W-wait a minute. You're - you're doubting your whole relationship because of one mistake? C'mon, that's nothing. Listen, when you're in a relationship, you don't doubt first... you trust first." Cory explained, handing a glass of water to Brooke to calm her down. 

"How can I?! Everything the girls said to me today was true. He said shit like I was special and that he's gonna take me someplace nice and then he will ditch me. That's what he's doing now, isn't he?!" Brooke groaned. 
"B, there is something we're not seeing. Please calm down" Cory touched her shoulder. 

He opened his mouth to speak but lost his train of thought as the phone rang. 
Rushing towards it, he spoke. 
"Hello? Mrs. Hunter? Yeah. He didn't. What? boathouse? No she's right here, at home. Okay, Mrs. Hunter, thank you so much" 

He ended the call and yanked Brooke out of her seat. 
"C'mon let's go" 

--

At the boat house, Jennifer, Libby and Dana are still interrogating a bound and gagged Shawn. 

"You said you were going to call, and you never did. One night of kissing and you were out the door. Do you think that didn't mean anything to me?" Libby complains.
Shawn tries to speak but it's too muffled to understand, as Libby takes a hint and rips off the tape. "Ow" He winced, making the girls smirk. 

"It was kissing. I – I didn't know it was meant to mean anything." He said in his defense. 

"I say we move right to the penalty phase." Libby looked at the other girls and sassed.
"Wait, wait, wait a minute! Can I say something here?" Shawn pleaded, as Dana finally gave in, slightly feeling bad seeing him in this situation. 
"We should let him talk." Dana insisted. 
"Thank you, Dana. You were always the reasonable one." He said, gratefully.

"What was I?" Jennifer towers over him, menacingly. 
"You were the ahhhahaa..." He grimaced, shuddering under her gaze. 
"Look, I understand what you guys are trying to do here – you're trying to protect Brooke from me. But you don't have to, because I really care about her. Before my girlfriend, she's my best friend. My favorite girl" His voice trailed off in the end. He could only begin to imagine how much Brooke must hate him right now.