22

"I did the stupidest thing ever"

The sky was all gray and grumpy, like it had woken up on the wrong side of the bed. Brooke was out in her backyard, chilling on her swing, trying to get cozy with her book. But something was off. The air felt kinda sad, and even the swing seemed to be in a bit of a slump.

She had her book open, but her eyes kept wandering. Her book was just lying there, in her hands feeling totally ignored. The words on the page were like a jumbled mess. 

The flowers in Feeny's garden looked kinda droopy, like they were bummed out too. She kept zoning out, wondering why her brain was acting like a sleepy snail.

"Good Afternoon Miss Matthews" Feeny peeped from the other side of the fence, a watering can glued to his hand, like usual. 
"Good Afternoon, Mr. Feeny" Brooke faked a smile. 
"You seem off, today, on a very fine day like such" 

"I-I'm fine" Brooke closed her book.

"You took quite some time to notice my presence. You were physically present with the book, but mentally absent." A deep sigh escaped her lips.
"No, It's nothing like that. Just...typical teenage drama"

"I think it is safe to assume there's feelings involved" He rubbed his index finger against his thumb like he usually did.
"Definitely is" Brooke snickered.

There was a bit of silence before the older male spoke. And it wasn't something Brooke would expect. 

"I take it that you have feelings for a certain...Hunter" Brooke froze in her place, her eyes as wide as plates.

"What?!" She looked at him as if he'd just asked for both of her kidneys. "That's insane! Where'd you get that idea?! I grew up with Shawn! Falling for my brother's best friend? That's the stupidest thing I could ever do!" Brooke got up and turned around on her heel to storm off. 

Three steps in and she paused her walk. Slowly turning around to face the old man. 

"Mr. Feeny. I did the stupidest thing ever" Brooke bit her tongue.

"Look, I've been trying to forget it but it just doesn't help. Cory will kill me if he finds out. Plus Shawn has a girlfriend now. I don't stand a chance with him anyway"

"Suppressing those feelings can be a bit like storing fireworks in a closet. Sooner or later, they tend to create quite a mess." He started.
"Yeah, I don't want that. But facing them head-on sounds scary." Brooke shuddered at the thought of telling Shawn. 

"Facing them may feel like stepping into uncharted territory, but it's a journey worth taking. Imagine emotions as different colors on your palette – each contributes to the painting. All these emotions are crucial to your life, Miss Matthews"

"Huh...that's an interesting way to put it" She looked deep in thought.
"Indeed, it is."

"So. Should I move on?" 

"If that's what you think is right. But not by suppressing feelings. The right way. There's a huge difference between being happy and feelings happy" Brooke nodded.

"Thanks Mr. Feeny. I appreciate the help"
"I'm always here for you kids, Miss Matthews" He warmly smiled.

--

Brooke reached school, navigating the bustling hallways, her backpack slung over one shoulder. She spots Shawn leaning against his locker, talking and laughing with his girlfriend, Angela. The sight stings, but Brooke steels herself and walks past, offering a casual wave.

In English class, Brooke and Shawn sit next to each other as usual. Mr. Turner begins the lesson on Shakespeare, but Brooke's mind drifts as she steals glances at Shawn. She quickly redirects her attention to her notebook, jotting down notes with determination.

During lunch, Brooke sits with Cory and Topanga at their usual table, where Shawn usually sat too. The conversation revolves around annoying teachers and cringe couples. Brooke contributes enthusiastically, her laughter genuine. Yet, every now and then, her eyes involuntarily seek out Shawn, a pang of longing tugging at her heart. Had he not been sitting with Angela's group, he'd be sitting here, telling them about how John and Michelle fought in front of a biology teacher. 

Brooke bumps into Shawn by the lockers, on her way to the next class. "Hey, Shawn," she says with a small smile, her heart doing a little flip. Shawn grins back, his eyes lighting up. "Yo, Brooke! Did you catch that crazy show last night?"

They chat about the show for a bit, Brooke making sure to throw in a few chuckles even though her mind is trying to remember the promise she made to herself about keeping some distance. "I can't believe that plot twist!" she exclaims.

"Yeah, right? Totally didn't see that coming," Shawn replies, brushing his hair back with a casual gesture. Angela, his girlfriend, joins them, and Brooke's heart sinks a little. She exchanges pleasantries with Angela, careful to keep her feelings hidden.

Later, in the quiet of her room, Brooke reflects on the day. She gazes at a photo of her and Shawn, memories of shared laughter flooding her thoughts. With a sigh, she sets the polaroid from the ski trip aside and dives into a book, hoping that fiction will offer an escape from her real-world situation.

And so, another day goes by in Brooke's high school journey that ended with her navigating her hidden emotions while keeping her promise to maintain some distance from Shawn.

----------------------------------------------

Filler? 

GUYSSS I'M SO SORRY FOR THE CONFUSION OMG- 

Uh so i accidentaly posted the draft. I'm so sorry I'm so stupid 😭

As an apology, you can have double updates. 
Again, I'm really sorry. Especially to those extremely confused 193 people-