Christmas Special!

Prompt: Y/n has to work at the coffee shop for Christmas, as Gwen, a familiar soul is the only one there. (Pinterest prompt and art are from Pinterest) 

NB Reader

Time: 10:34 PM

It was a long day, the longest of the month, it was Christmas, well, Christmas Eve, you were stuck on the night shift, you needed the pay, and you were struggling with rent as it is. New York wasn't a friendly place to homeless people, so you weren't going to complain about the double pay at this time of year, or the extra pay if you applied for overtime. You worked full-time at a 24-hour coffee shop, majority of the customers for the day came before your shift started, needing fuel for last-minute Christmas shopping in the early morning, so you were pretty much alone. 

Until a hooded stranger came in, they wore a black hoodie, their face covered as they looked down at the ground, their left hand came up on the counter to drum their finger along the surface quietly, waiting for you to finish up cleaning the hobs on the machines. 

"Hello, welcome to the No-Doze Cafe, how can I help you today?" You greeted in your customer service tone, a smile to fit the bill, the stranger's head looks up at you, and you feel your heart race, it was Gwen Stacy, your high school crush, it's been over 3 years since you last saw each other, and by God was she still as beautiful as ever. 

"Can I get a-" she stops mid-sentence when our eyes meet, "Y/n?" she asks, as if she can't believe it was really you, you nod, your smile broadening with genuine happiness. 

"Hey Gwen, long time no see," you say softly, she takes her hood off, her hair is grown out a little, but nonetheless, still in a Gwen Stacy fashion, her tips were dyed a warm lavender instead of the pink she had chosen in her youth. 

"I uh..." she stammers for a long moment, a small blush coating her cheeks, which makes yours feel a little warm as well, "You look...good, great even" she compliments shyly, rubbing the back of her neck, a small trait you had noticed she did when she was nervous or shy. 

"Thank you, as do you, I love your hair," you say warmly, your eyes dart down, remembering you're at work, the only person working actually, so you clear your throat, catching her attention, "So what can I get for you?" you repeat, but there is more of a friendly tone in the question this time. 

Gwen smiles, and you swear you could hear the bells of heaven ring, she takes a moment to decide as if she is contemplating changing her order now that you're in front of her, "Can I get two hot chocolates please?" she asks sweetly, "And take your time, I'm planning on staying a while," she assures you, she would actually be the first customer to not rush you, so the change of pace was nice, but her order did make you raise a brow.

"Two? Are you sure?" you ask her, she grins nodding at you, placing the required amount of cash down on the surface before taking a seat in the booth across from the counter. It takes a few minutes for the coffee maker to warm up, in the meantime you grab two mugs, both regular-sized, you place them under the coffee maker, waiting for the machine to pour, once it does, you place 5 small marshmallows into it at first, to allow the sweetness to develop. 

You then carefully squoosh out squirty cream, making it a perfect mountain, you decorate it with cocoa powder, littered with a few more marshmallows, you then repeat the process to the other mug, carrying them both carefully over to Gwen, placing them on two coasters in front of her. 

"Thank you," she says softly, smiling warmly, you turn to walk back behind the counter, thinking that she'd like some peace and quiet, but she grabs your hand, making you turn your head back to look at her. 

"Is something wrong with your drink?" You ask politely, unsure if it's not to her liking. She shakes her head, the smile never leaving her face.

"No, the drinks look fine," she reassures you, "I just..." she takes a moment to think, biting her bottom lip, "Would you like to have the other...with me I mean?" she asks, her cheeks tinting a rosy pink, as she looks up at you shyly. 

You feel your heart flutter in your chest, tingling down to your stomach, a smile gracing your lips, "So that's why you ordered two?" You ask, a teasing tone in your words, the blonde only blushes more.

"Well, if you don't want a free drink that's your loss Y/n" she taunts you back, a cheeky grin on her face, making her look like an adorable kitten. 

You chuckle softly, sliding into the seat of the booth opposite her, "No, no, I'll accept the drink, seeing as I've served all my customers so far" You say sliding one of the drinks in front of you, her eyes shine in delight when she sees you accept her offer, her hands wrapping around her own mug for warmth. 

Time: 12:58 PM 
 You and Gwen spent the last few hours getting to know each other, mainly catching up with each other on your lives, you've noticed she looks more toned, you figured that was because she said she had a job as a security guard at the local museum,  she had always been quite a healthy person, but when she took her hoodie, claiming it was too hot in the cafe, you couldn't help but let your eyes wander around her figure. Thankfully she was still as oblivious as she was in high school, so she never caught your gaze, but you both exchanged phone numbers and social media. 

Eventually, your eyes lock onto the time, cursing under your breath, "Hey, look" you say softly, bringing Gwen's attention to the numbers displayed on your screen, she reads the time and sighs heavily.

"I really wish we could spend more time together," she says sweetly in a soft tone, her hand reaching across the table to hold yours, you can feel those butterflies return, and you're away to something just as sweet but police sirens blur past the building, the windows allowing the blue and red lights to shine into the cafe, you are distracted for only a split second, but when you looked back at Gwen she was gone.

"What the...? Gwen?" You call out, thinking she went to the bathroom, your hands going on the table when you feel your fingers brush up against something soft. There was a napkin placed in front of you, however, a small heart was drawn on the fold where it dared you to open it, you open the napkin to see a short, slightly messy handwriting that reads. 

"It was great seeing you, we should hang out more someday, text me!"
 "Merry Christmas, Gwen xx"

You hold the napkin in your hand, smiling just as you would back at high school when you caught a glimpse of Gwen in the halls, a good feeling brewing in your stomach, you were beginning to think that maybe working late nights may not be as bad as you thought. 

"Merry Christmas too Gwen," you whisper, pocketing the note, you stand up, taking the two mugs back to the sink, humming a merry tune to yourself as you clean the two dishes, your mind occupied by a certain lady. 

Gwen's POV
 I felt bad about leaving Y/n so suddenly, but crime waits for no one, not even Ghsot-Spider, unfortunately, I do sneak a glimpse of Y/n in the window, seeing their smile as they clean up the cafe, my heart fluttering as I find myself smiling under the mask, I then feel my heart stop for a split second when they finish up, taking the napkin out to look at it again. 

I then see them smile wider, their phone coming out, their thumbs work quickly, and I feel my phone beep, I pull it out to read the notification, my heart jumping for joy. 

"I'm free next Friday? :)"

Word Count: 1384

I hope you all liked this, if there are any spelling or grammar mistakes then please let me know. 

I wish you all a merry Christmas, if you need someone to talk to this holiday season my DM's are open.

I love you all, and have a good Christmas! <3

B.K