𝒊𝒙. under investigation

CHAPTER NINE: UNDER INVESTIGATION !

13x14

━━━━━━

THINGS HAD BEEN WEIRD SINCE JJ WAS CALLED IN TO TALK TO ASSISTANT DIRECTOR LINDA BARNES. Casey had figured that it was just precautionary for Barnes to talk to everyone on the team. Maybe she was getting promoted? Anyway, the team had more to think about with this case they were just brought in with.

          The minute Casey settled herself in bed, they got called in again. And they were on a case just a few hours ago. "Thank you all for getting back here so quickly. I got a call from Chief Wheeler at the New Orleans Police Department. They've requested our help. Garcia, go ahead." Emily started.

            Casey looked next to her and noticed a tense JJ, who just came from her meeting with Barnes. She didn't explain what had happened nor did she have time to. Casey could only guess from JJ's face that it wasn't good.

       "The big easy has its own big bad operating in its midst. Earlier today, police uncovered a mass grave inside a vandalized crypt." Garcia explains.

       "Tremé Cemetery. Ten bodies in total were discovered by the groundskeeper this afternoon." Emily stated. "Yeah. The bodies were buried and burned inside the secluded tomb that had been pried open. They are believed to have been placed there in the last few weeks. The tomb was off-limits due to some maintenance being done." Garcia informed.

       "Looks like local PD is still working on IDing the victims." Rossi told. "Has a cause of death been determined?" Tara asked. "No. But the coroner did reveal this one super icky detail... all of the bodies had been drained of their blood." Garcia stated.

        "Exsanguination? Before burning the bodies?" Casey questions. "Let's make sure to check on that first thing." Emily nods towards JJ. "Tremé Cemetery's an active site. It's famous. It's the oldest cemetery in the city." JJ spoke.

       "Home to Marie Laveau," Spencer spoke. "The voodoo queen of New Orleans, known for her powers of clairvoyance, healing, and intimidation. Legend has it she once helped free a man accused of murder by praying for 72 hours straight with three hot peppers in her mouth." He explained.

         "She was a real person?" Casey questioned and everyone looked her way. "I just thought she was a character in American Horror Story." She joked, nervously chuckling.

         "Voodoo queen. I mean, is that what this is? Some kind of ritualistic killing?" Luke questioned. "I see these Xs here.
They're used to denote the grave of a powerful voodoo practitioner." Matt tells, looking over the file.