𝒗𝒊𝒊𝒊. once in a blue moon

CHAPTER EIGHT: ONCE IN A BLUE MOON !

13x12

━━━━━━

THE TEAM HAD ANOTHER CASE. Garcia called everyone in to the roundtable room as she presented it. "NYPD needs our help." Emily started as everyone sat in their spots at the table.

    "I'll say they do," Garcia nodded. "Okay, earlier tonight the body of a jogger, Brad Norton, 32, was found in Central Park." She explained. "He was disemboweled and his throat torn out." Rossi points out. "Well, that's lovely." Casey stated sarcastically.

        "Yeah, and then last month, the body of Victor Guzman, 26, was also found in Central Park, and he had been... what Rossi said." Garcia said.

        "Any witnesses to either crime?" Tara asks. "No, none." Emily answers. "And the wounds on both victims look like claw and bite marks from a large animal." Spencer told. "Yeah, the marks would make me think that nothing human would do this... at least I hope not." Casey added.

        "Did the police check to see if any large predatory animals escaped from Central Park zoo?" JJ asks. "Every last creature has been accounted for down to the last penguin."

        "Well, there are people who think that having exotic pets, like lions or tigers, is a good idea. Maybe one escaped or was abandoned and is living in the park." Matt stated.

       "There are a lot of places to hide," Spencer suggests. "Central Park is 843 acres, including 58 miles of pedestrian paths, 36 bridges, 7 bodies of water, 6 miles or roads, and 5 miles of bridle paths."

        JJ continues, "If it is a wild animal, it's a job for animal control." Tara nods, "Someone could have trained a pit bull or a large breed like a mastiff or an akita to attack on command." Garcia nods, "I can search kennels and dog breeders in the area."

      "This case reminds me of one from '97." Rossi told. "Two teenagers killed a man in the park in almost the same way." Luke follows, "Yeah, I was living in the Bronx then. It's, uh..." He begins to try and think back. "Daphne... Daphne Abdella and a Christopher Vasquez. They slit a man's throat, gutted him, and then filled his body cavity with stones before they threw him in one of the lakes."

       "Wild beast or human, either way, wheels up in 20." Emily tells the team and everyone gets ready to head to the jet. When they get there, Casey takes a spot next to Matt on the couch as they begin to debrief.

         "The latest victim, Brad Norton, moved to New York City 5 years ago from Danbury, Connecticut." Emily starts. "He was single, worked as an insurance agent, and had the same job for 10 years." Luke nods.