𝒗𝒊𝒊𝒊. once in a blue moon

Start from the beginning

"You said "appeared" canine. You're not convinced a dog did this?" Casey asks. "In my exam I found bite marks and hair from rats and raccoons that nibbled on the victim postmortem." The woman tells.

"That's not unusual. Feral animals will usually feast on whatever they can find." Matt figures. "True, but what is unusual is what I didn't find. There wasn't any dog hair or bloody paw prints anywhere on the victim's body or clothes." Casey furrows her brows as a women comes to hand the ME a file.

"Oh. Lab results." The ME looks inside and shakes her head. "Huh." She mutters. "What is it?" Casey asks.

"The, uh, saliva found in the bite wounds... it's human." The ME says. "That's odd." Casey tells as the woman hands the results over.

When the three had gotten back, Casey had brought the lab results over to Luke, Tara and Spencer since they were in the conference room. "Hey, guys. We have a copy of the ME report." Casey hands it to Spencer. "There were traces of amphetamine and MDA found in the saliva on all three victims." She explains.

"MDA is a more potent form of ecstasy. And it can induce delusions, hostility, even violent behavior." Luke told. "The unsub may be suffering from some sort of drug-induced psychosis. That could explain the frenzied nature of the kills." Spencer explained.

"Okay, we've got dog-like bite marks, eviscerations, human saliva, drug use, and kills timed to the lunar cycle. I know what this is. Our unsub thinks he's a werewolf." Luke begins to chuckle after Tara theorized. "Right." No one in the room laughs. "You're kidding, right?" Luke asks.

"Well, not an actual one, obviously, but he may be suffering from a syndrome called clinical lycanthropy. It is rare, but it's a recognized medical condition." Tara explains.

"So a man with a beast inside of him." Luke comments. "The saliva also showed high levels of cortisol. Cortisol rises slowly over time and takes time to return to its base level, indicating someone's under an incredible amount of stress." Spencer explains. "That's just about everyone these days." Tara comments.

"What bumps me are the bite marks." Luke told. "So what did he do, he filed down and sharpened his own teeth?"
"Human teeth, while incredibly strong, are too small to inflict these kinds of wounds. I think it's more likely that he fashioned some sort of mouthpiece to mimic that of a dog's." Spencer told as Casey furrows her brows and scrunches her face in disgust.

"Creating a canine mouthpiece would speak to his organization, which is something a psychotic killer wouldn't show." Tara explains.
"It would also mean that he made a conscious decision to make it." Casey told. "Well, he could be inducing his wolf delusion. I mean, maybe it provides an escape or a release from something." Tara suggests.

"But what?" Spencer asks and Casey looks at the boards and crossed her arms. "You know that saying 'once in a blue moon'? Well, it's once in a blue moon we get a case that makes you question pretty much everything you know." Casey stated.

          After that, they'd found a teenage boy, who was homeless with a coat full of blood on it. He was in a foster home due to his parents dying via murder-suicide. He had taken drugs and gave a false confession that he committed the crimes. They figured they'd try again later with him when they'd discovered the next day that another body was discovered. Emily, Casey, Tara and Spencer had decided to check it out.