Chapter 4 - Bad News

Lisa's pov
I had no idea what Doctor Dix was about to say but it couldn't be worse than living your life with the last name "Dix" right?.. Oh God. I could take it..
"Will you just tell us already?" Said Shane. I loved the way his voice got when he was being strict.
Doctor Dix looked at her clip board and with a solemn look on her face, said, "Lisa... You have a very serious illness. It's called POTS... postural orthostatic tachychardia syndrome. Basically, it's where the heart doesn't pump the blood where it is supposed to, WHEN it is supposed to, so passing out, especially with changes in position, is more likely."
"So. What can we do? Can she.. You know.." Said Shane. And I knew. He was going to say 'can she die from it?'. And I'm glad he didn't. I've known Shane for about a year now and he knows how I feel about death. "Usually POTS is not fatal.. But because of the late diagnosis.. We never really know.."
My heart stopped.. (No pun intended) I couldn't believe this.. I'm too young to die. I don't even have a family yet. I never got to get married. "Is there anything we can do?" Said Shane hopefully, his eyes watering, he really really did care...
Doctor Dix spoke with huge spaces between her words. Almost as if she was holding back tears. "The only thing we can really do is preform an open heart surgery.. But that's expensive and risky... You couldn't die from open heart surgery, as there are machines keeping you alive, but with the surgery we would preform, you would be very week and unable to walk for up to six months after the surgery, maybe longer." "And there's no way I could get that much money to be able to do this. How much is the surgery?.." I said

"$5,000..."

"We could make a gofundme page..?" Said Shane.

I smiled. We could, couldn't we?..