21

T/W: Parental Death

Leighton's mother does die in this chapter. I do not drag it out, nor make it graphic! This *ONE* chapter will contain everything death and memorial, and then we're moving on! So if you're triggered, feel free to skip this chapter!

*Leighton's POV*

The morning of October 14th was somber. Everyone was moving very numbly this morning. The sound of cereal dropping into a ceramic bowl and the clank of a metal spoon being placed in before the bowl scraped against the counter towards the toddler who slowly munched on her breakfast were the only sounds you could hear on the main floor of my childhood home.

I slowly climbed the stairs, walking into my mothers bedroom where Landon was sat, tears rolling down his face as he held our mothers hand; the beeping machines and the woosh sound of her oxygen slapping me in the face with reality every single day.

I softly knocked on the door, announcing my presence, offering a soft smile when he looked up, watching me walk in before focusing back on mom.

"Hey" I spoke softly, my hand rubbing his back slowly as we both looked down at my mom, my arm moving over his shoulders to pull him into my side. "I love you, Landon. We're going to be okay" I reassured him, hating watching all of my family break down. "She's going to be okay"

Different people trickled in and out, awaiting for her doctor to arrive, countless tears had been shed and stories had been told.

"Remember that one time..." was said more than I could count.

My aunt Melissa was the last person in the room before it was just my mom and I again, everyone sending me a knowing look as they left, as if they weren't also going through it.

I held her hand in mine, my eyes burning with the need to overflow with emotions as I tried to soak in these final moments with her.

"You are my sunshine, my only sunshine. You make me happy.. when skies are gray" I softly sang, my throat tightening up as memories flashed through my head of all the countless times I could recall that she had sung it to me. "You'll never know, dear, how much I love you.. please don't take... my sunshine... away" I finished, my voice hoarse as a hot fresh tear finally fell down my cheek. "The other night, dear... as I lay sleeping.. I dreamed I held you.. in my arms.." I sniffled, a weak squeeze of my hand shattered me completely. "I love you so much" I cried, feeling each moment slipping through my fingers. "I'm so sorry for ever disappointing you. For everything I've put you through. Through my addiction, and my drama.. everything. I'm so sorry"

A knock startled me; my eyes quickly found the cause of the noise, Colby's presence causing my breath to hitch.

"Are you alright?" He asked quietly, reminding me that I was once again crying like a baby. I quickly nodded, wiping at my face. "Do you mind if I talk to her privately?" He asked, piquing my interest as I nodded, moving out of the way.

I went to slide past him, Colby catching my hip with his hand, softly pulling me into him before pressing his lips against mine.

I could feel myself melt into his kiss, my eyes falling shut, sighing when he pulled away, whispering "I love you" before sending me on my way.

"Mommy!" Gemma squealed, running down the hallway, crashing into my legs.

"Hi baby"

"See Nonna?"

"You can see Nonna in a few minutes baby. Coco's talking to Nonna" I smiled softly, running my hand through her hair. "Did you finish your breakfast?" I asked, leading her down the hall, Gemma teasing me for being slow as I carefully walked down the stairs.