🌼Swim Meets-CL20

I was studying in Vincenza, a small Italian city between Verona and Venice. I was on the college swim team as well so was often down at the sports centre. And that was where I met Conrad.

One day I was doing land training in the gym, and I spotted a tall blond kid over on the tread mill. I had recognised him from somewhere and I had no idea where. I needed to go on a treadmill and awkwardly, the only one left was next to him. As I got on, I glanced sideways to see his shirt- Prema Racing. It was Conrad Laursen. Danish F4 champion, now racing for Prema. I had decided to just concentrate on running, but inside I was freaking out and began running faster than I should've for the distance I was doing. Becoming so concentrated in not glancing over to him, i waited until he left before I stopped running. In total, I ran 10km. I called up my father afterwards as he works for Prema as an engineer. He would know Conrad. And this would repeat most weeks before finally we ended up chatting and now we're best friends.

I locked up my apartment and headed down to the street below. I lived on a quiet street; old, tall Italian buildings, small balconies with vines and hanging plants everywhere. I put in my ear phones and turned on some music as I headed to the pool for the swim meet.

This meet was a big one- it was equivalent to regionals but for students in Vincenza who don't have the option to get all the way to Bolzano. Today, I was competing in the 400IM and the 1500m free. The 1500m free this year had stiff competition and it would be hard to even get a chance of a medal.

~Time Skip To About To Finish Race~

I kicked harder and faster, arms pulling harder and faster as well. I swam full speed into the wall, only to look back to see every swimmer still coming into the wall. I looked up to the time board.

1 Y/L/N 18:02.17

I could not believe my eyes.
"Well done Y/n, you can exit the pool now." The official said to me over the diving block. I hauled myself out and jogged up to my team. I got a lot of congratulations as I sat down and pulled out my phone. I texted my Mum the result as my mind drifted to other stuff.

I began thinking the last time I saw Conrad which must have been at least a week ago. I wanted to see him- just hang out with my best friend after an achievement. Perfectly on queue, I received a call from Conrad.

"Hello!" I said down the line. He didn't say anything and switched the call to video call. All I saw was floor before he quickly moved his camera up and zoomed in on someone.
"Hello!" I finally replied, me releasing who the person was. He was stood in the spectators side of the seats and had zoomed in on me. I grabbed my hoodie, jumped up and sprinted over to where he was.

"Y/n!!" Conrad said as I ran up to him, jumping into his arms. "You did so well!"

"Thank you for coming! you didn't need to!" I said, smiling.

He pulled me in closer and placed his lips on mine. After a few seconds, I pulled away, staring at Conrad , confused to why I felt that something that was missing was no longer missing.

"And here I am, in love with my best friend." Conrad breathed, smiling.

"What?!" I replied. Conrad breathed in sharply. "You love me?"

"Maybe..." he answered, looking away from me. I hugged him again, him gladly taking me into his embrace.

"Well this is something I never knew I needed..." I laughed after pulling away. He laughed as well before speaking again.

"Have you finished your races for today?" He asked.

"Yes! I'll go get my stuff." I said. I had done the 400IM as well but I finished in 4th.

I walked back over to my team, put on my sweatpants over my swimming costume as well as the hoodie and picked up my stuff and left.

I started heading to the exit before Conrad grabbed my shoulder and pulled me back.

"Jeezz, what?" I laughed, nearly falling over.
"You're not leaving without a medal." He smiled, leading me over to the results table.

"Hello! Name and event?" The lady at the table asked me.
"Y/n Y/l/n, 1500m free." I answered. She looked down at the results sheet and handed me a gold medal and a bronze medal. "I only got a medal in 1500."

"No, 400IM as well! 3rd made mistakes on turns which resulted in DQ. Well done, two medals!" She replied. I stared at the two medals in awe. I felt Conrad come up close behind me and his arms wrap round my waist, hugging me from behind as he rested his head on my shoulder.

"Thank you!" I finally said, eventually going to the exit.

"So what do you want to do now?" Conrad asked me smiling.

"I don't know to be honest. I have nothing planned for the rest of the day." I shrugged.

"Well there's a social thing going on down at the Prema factory, so do you want to come with me?" He asked, knowing that I love coming with him and my Dad to the factory.

"I'd love to, but I'm not going looking like this!" I said, referring to my outfit.

"You want to go to your apartment and get changed?" He asked, knowing I would straight away say yes.

We walked back to my apartment and I got changed whilst Conrad tried to organise transport to the factory. Paul Aron then said he would pick us up on the way, and Dino would be with him.

"So how are you guys?" Paul asked as we got in.

"Good!" I said. I felt Conrad looking at me slightly disgusted.

"What do you mean 'good'? You did incredible! You won the 1500!" He said.

"Ah! You won?!" Dino asked.

"Yes. I thought I wouldn't get a medal in the 400IM though, but third got disqualified." I explained.

"Well, fair play anyway. Great results!" Paul said.

"Thank you!" I smiled at everyone.

We all chatted more in the car and got to the factory. The social event wasn't massive, but had drivers, engineers and some of their family and close ones.

I had gone up to get a drink and went and sat down. Bianca soon joined me.
"So, you and Conrad?" She smiled.
"Huh?" I asked, slightly confused. She picked up her phone and went into instagram and onto a small account with a photo from the spectators side of the pool at the swim meet we were at. The photo was of me and Conrad and the unintentional kiss. I breathed in sharply as Bianca giggled.
"Well, haven't made it official, but..." I shrugged.
"Gosh, please be together! It would make the rest of us so happy!" Bianca pleaded.
"I don't know what my Dad would think but, hopefully!" I laughed. "Oh wait, I haven't spoken to my Dad today... he won't know my results!" To which Bianca burst out laughing.
"Ok, let's go find him..." she said between laughs. We walked around a little before spotting him.

"Hello child! How did the meet go?" He asked happily. Child was always his nickname for me- since when I was 4 I called him 'adult'.
"Bronze, gold!" I replied smiling.
"YES! Well done! I'm so proud of you! Sorry I couldn't be there to watch."
"Don't worry, Conrad was there." I smiled again.
"So I heard... I saw a story on instagram when I tried to check results earlier." My soul left my body.
"Oh, it was nothing. Kind've an accident."
"Oh, I don't mind, as long as your comfortable and happy." He said, sipping his drink.
"Thanks Dad. To be honest I didn't really know how you would react, but this surprised me..." I laughed.
"I don't know. You and Conrad were just different. I can make exceptions." He said laughing.