Twenty-Eight

Millicent greeted the waitress with a warm smile as she settled into the booth for breakfast with her dad. This tradition was a cherished one, and her order never wavered. She didn't even need to peruse the menu; her choice was automatic. "I'll have the full English with coffee, please."

Darren mirrored her order, but with a preference for tea. "Same, but with tea, please."

Millicent chuckled, exchanging playful banter with her father. "I guess that's one thing we'll never have in common. I don't really care for tea."

He gasped, feigning offense, and she giggled in response. "That's alright. You Americans and your obsession with coffee," he teased, his eyes sparkling.

She couldn't stifle her laughter, and he smiled, relaxing into the familiar comfort of their annual breakfast outing. "I could say the same thing about you English and your tea."

He sat up with a sly grin, playing along. "Tea is more sophisticated, you know."

She couldn't help but giggle, and he joined in the laughter, happy to see her in such high spirits. Eager to shift the conversation, she inquired, "So... Kyle and Ben were really caught with drugs in their system?"

"You know I'm not allowed to talk about that, sweetheart," he replied, his tone gentle but firm.

"Did you and Henry do something?" She pressed further, leaning back as their drinks arrived.

"All I did was conduct random drug testing. Something that is well within my right as the dean," he clarified.

She sighed and rolled her eyes, focusing on her coffee as she prepared it to her liking. "So Henry did something?"

He looked at his tea, evading her gaze. "Henry tested negative for all drugs."

Millicent was undeterred. "That's not what I meant, and you know it."

He sighed, finally meeting her eyes as he leaned forward, more resolute. "All I did was conduct random drug testing. Anything else, you'll have to talk to Henry about."

"I will," she affirmed with a determined nod.

"Good. Can we talk about something else, then, please?" He smiled, producing an envelope from his jacket's inner pocket and handing it to her. "Happy birthday."

"Thank you," she replied, taking the envelope and removing the card. Her surprise was palpable when she discovered the check inside. "Dad... what is this?!"

He shrugged, his hand brushing nervously along the back of his neck. "You're about to graduate and start your life. I wanted to ensure a proper start for you. For you to buy a house and have a nice nest egg to begin."

"Dad... this is a lot of money... far too much."

He smiled, gently patting her hand. "Don't worry about it. I still have my retirement money, and you're my only family. I want you to have it. It would go to you eventually anyway."

"Thank you." She leaned in to kiss his cheek gratefully before tucking the envelope into her purse. As their breakfast arrived, she shifted the conversation. "You're an attractive guy, why did you never marry?"

Darren blushed faintly, then shrugged. "I was married for a while in my early 30s. But she cheated... and I guess I've had trust issues since."

"Oh... I'm sorry. I didn't know."

He shook his head, wearing a soft smile. "Don't worry about it. And I would just like to say that the last almost four years since you've been here have been the happiest I've ever been."

"I've really loved living here with you, Dad, and forming a relationship with you. And just because I move out eventually, doesn't stop you from being my dad. You'll still be a part of my life."

He beamed at her words, nodding appreciatively as he fought back a surge of emotion. "I'm happy to hear that. So... what are your plans for tonight?"

"Um... We're just having dinner with Abby and her new boyfriend, Bobby. And then having drinks at a pub. Low key."

"And you'll be careful?"

She sighed, glancing from her plate to her father, observing the worried look on his face. "Yes, Dad. I'll be with Henry the whole time. And... I'll probably be spending the night with him."

"Yeah." He sighed and nodded his approval before returning to his meal as they fell into a conversation about school and her plans after graduation.

***

Henry grabbed Millicent's hand after helping her out of his car after dinner. He stopped her before she could enter the pub, turning instead to pin her against the side of his car. "You look beautiful tonight, Shortcake."

She whimpered softly as he pressed his lips to her neck, his hand trailing up her thigh under the skirt of her dress. "Henry," she moaned as he thrust his hips against her, pressing his body close to hers.

He chuckled, lifting her chin up to him. "I can't wait to get you home."

"Home..." she repeated, wrapping her arms around his neck. "You mean your apartment?"

"Well... yeah...." He hesitated, unsure of her point as she smirked.

"I thought maybe we could talk about finding a place together after graduation?"

He grinned widely and wrapped his arms around her waist, pulling her body tightly against his. "I love that idea. Our own place."

She nodded her agreement with a small chuckle. "Yeah. Exactly. Now let's go drink with our friends."

Henry laughed, kissing her quickly before grabbing her hand to lead her toward the pub. "As you wish."